its been to days since I've smoked...my lipo surgery is next week...will I pass the nicotine test?

Smoked a week before surgery - will I pass the nicotine test?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• It depends on how much you smoke -
  • For a urine test, you should be clear in 2-4 days.
  • If you are a heavy smoker, it could be a week.
  • Be honest with your surgeon - if s/he asked you to stop 2 weeks before and you didn't, let her/him know.
  • Since you are having liposuction, s/he is likely to approve you still having surgery -
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Smooking and Liposuction

I am not sure what you mean by a nicotine test, but I suggest speaking to your physician and telling them your concerns.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Its been to days since I've smoked...my lipo surgery is next week...will I pass the nicotine test?

Hello! Thank you for your question! It depends on which test that is done - urine or blood.  Regardless, I would be honest with your surgeon, as the potential issues could be harmful, not to mention a loss of trust.  The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure.. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous with the dissection of the abdominal tissue as well as around the belly button, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, skin flap necrosis, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences. There is an increase pulmonary risk with the anesthesia and postop lung infections. The most devastating consequence of infection, especially since the tissue is tightened, is increased. This along with wound healing and scarring. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Nicotene

I ask my patients to be off all forms of nicotine for at least two weeks prior to surgery and six weeks after surgery. Nicotine, in my opinion is more of a risk in surgeries where part of the skin is lifted off of its blood supply. Surgeries such as abdominoplasty, breast lift, and facelift are more dangerous in the face of nicotine. I'm not that worried about liposuction in a smoker in my patient population. Certainly opinions on this matter will vary because there's not a tremendous amount of science from human beings. Most of the nicotine studies were done in animals and the surgeries that were done were the creation of a random flap which has a predictable length to width ratio of survival in the absence of smoking. I'm not sure this translates into cosmetic surgery in humans. Certainly, discuss this with your plastic surgeon as they may feel differently. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  In most cases it takes a couple of weeks to no longer have nicotine in your system.  Because of the blood flow issues that smoking and nicotine can cause, best to stop at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after liposuction.  Hope this helps.

Nicotine test

Thanks for reaching out.  It really depends what is being tested.  Commonly, Cytidine, which is a byproduct of nicotine metabolism is tested and it can last unto 4 weeks.  It is important tho that your surgeon knows what is going on.. If he or she has restrictions on smokers then there is a concern for safety.  You don't want to "get away" with not being up front with your surgeon.  Please be honest with what you are experiencing.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Smoking cessation before liposuction.

Most plastic surgeons would have you stop smoking for about two weeks before any elective cosmetic procedure. Some might insist on a longer time interval. Ask your surgeon what his specifications are in be honest with him about your smoking history.

Nicotine test

You should be off of nicotine for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery.  No exceptions.   My Best,  Dr Commons

Nicotine test

Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not
Probably not