Thin skin! Rhinoplasty implant exposed

Dear doctors! I got rhinoplasty 9 months ago.. i got it very natural so its not high at all.. low asian size! But my skin is extremely thin so even though its low , its always shiny and look like u can see the silicone implant on my nose.. i think my only option to fix that is to get my implant a lil lower.. i dont want that because its already low enough.. so is there any option to make my nose skin less shiny and cover the implant better?

Revision Rhinoplasty

Dear Popcornwitbutter:

Thank you for your question.Without photographs of your nose and a physical examination it is difficult to answer your question. However, sometimes the skin and soft tissue envelope of the nose can be made "thicker" by using Temporalis Fascia between the implant and the skin surface. Personally, I do not like to use silicone implants, but in cases where cartilage graft augmentation is needed in thin skinned patient, Temporalis Fascia works well. Perhaps a revision to remove your silicone implant and replace it with cartilage/fascia nasal augmentation may work better. If your implant is too low, there maybe little aesthetic benefit of your nasal appearance to keep it. I recommend discussing your options with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for advise. The Rhinoplasty Society is a good place to start. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Implant Seen Through Thin Nasal Skin

Having thin skin is a mixed blessing because excellent definition can be achieved but any irregularities can be easily seen. I am not a fan f silicone implants especially in patients with thin skin because of the problems you're experiencing. There is also added risk of implant movement or extrusion. It is difficult to make specific recommendations without pictures of your nose but the placement of a fascia graft between the implant and your skin is a possibility.

Nasal Dorsal Implant Concerns with Thin Skin

Without seeing a photo of your nose it is difficult to answer your question. However, sometimes the skin and soft tissue of the nose can be made "thicker" by using Alloderm or fascia between the implant and the skin surface. Personally, I do not like to use silicone implants, but in cases where cartilage graft augmentation is needed in thin skinned patient, Alloderm works well. Perhaps a revision to remove your silicone implant and replace it with cartilage/alloderm nasal augmentation may work better. If your implant is too low, there maybe little cosmetic benefit for your nasal appearance to keep it. I recommend discussing your options with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist for advise. Best Wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thin skin! Rhinoplasty implant exposed

If the implant can be seen at 9 months post op, you should discuss this with your surgeon.  Revision surgery may be needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD