My nose is visibly off center. What can I do to get it fixed?

About 5 years ago a closet door fell on my nose and pushed it the left. I got it fixed shortly after but over time it has been shifting more and more to the left. i can't sleep on my left side anymore because my nose will hurt really bad when i wake up or sometimes it just hurts for no reason. I also breathe better from my right nostril which can get annoying. I also do not want to change my nose just get it more centered.

Rhinoplasty Can Repair Your Alignment

Thanks for your question. It's difficult to say for sure the best course of action without an in-person consultation, but it is safe to say that rhinoplasty, perhaps combined with septoplasty, can resolve some of your breathing issues and align your nose without dramatically changing its appearance. It's important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon — ideally, one with extensive experience in facial rejuvenation. During your consultation, the surgeon will physically examine your nose and talk you through your various options for improvement. Best of luck to you.

Surgical rhinoplasty to fix a nose that is visibly off-center

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening a crooked nose which accomplishes making the off-center nose much more straight.  To accomplish this requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones to straighten them, a spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose, and a tip rhinoplasty to straighten the nasal tip.  In addition, a thorough internal examination of the nose is required to determine what is causing the nasal obstruction which can be from a deviated septum.  A septoplasty can be performed at the same time if needed for airflow improvement.  A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish simply straightening the nose without making any other cosmetic alterations to it.  For more information,  many before and after examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below 

Deviated nose from trauma

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty to correct nasal and septal deviation.

A rhinoplasty can be done to correct both your nasal and septal deviation. This will give you a much better airway and a straighter nose.  Choose a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses.  

Nose Deviated 5 Years after Trauma

Your nose can be straightened and your breathing obstruction corrected. I can't explain your pain but the cause may be obvious when you are examined. At that time you can discuss what other changes you do or don't want.

Off center nose

Sounds like you are suffering from a septal dislocation/fracture that may have also occurred during that trauma 5 years ago.  As others have noted, getting the nose perfectly straight is difficult, however, making it straighter and improving on your breathing is something that is certainly plausible.  I suggest you consult with someone experienced in rhinoplasty and airway reconstruction as a simple septoplasty is unlikely to help you with your troubles.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tilted nose.

Lilly,

Tilted noses can be a major challenge to surgeons and patients alike. It is difficult to get them completely straight, but straightER is definitely possible. From the story you give it sounds like you have a very deviated septum as well. I would approach this with a definitive procedure addressing the septum and the nasal skeleton to get optimal final results.  You need to have a complete consultation by a facial plastic surgeon who is skilled in nasal airway surgery and cosmetic rhinoplasty. 

Behrooz Torkian, MD