Day 9 after rhinoplasty not satisfied with the result. (photos)

Today is day 9 after rhinoplasty and my cast has remove i think my nose is upturned and one side is swelling more than the other one ! Is that normal ? And my uperlip is swelling too when it will be back to normal it will change the nose and make it drop ??

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose is still healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. You probably still have some swelling which can cause the appearance of a lifted tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

9 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only nine days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

9 days out

At only 9 days, you are still in the very early postoperative period with significant swelling, and it's far too early to judge the postoperative results.  Please continue to follow closely with your surgeon and follow their recommendations.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Day 9 after rhinoplasty not satisfied with the result.

Hard to tell based on the pictures provided, but that will not change my main message, which is that 9 days is for too early to judge your final results.  There is not only swelling in the nose, but also the surrounding tissues as well.  Follow your surgeon's instructions and you can monitor changes over the next several months.  Good luck.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Early postop thinoplasty concerns

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, your pictures don't provide a lot of information at this point, because your head is turned slightly to one side or the other in each, relative to the plane of the picture.  This can give the illusion that the nose may not be centered or symmetric.  Additional views that allow visualization of the entire face from the frontal view, oblique views, side views, and base view would be helpful to get an overall picture of the nose in relation to the rest of the face.  However, you are still very early in the healing process, so it is really difficult to make any accurate assessment of the surgical result at this point.  It is normal to still have visible swelling, and one side may swell more than the other, creating the appearance of assymmetry.  The majority of the visible swelling will resolve in the first 2 - 3 weeks.  However, there will be some mild residual swelling that may take several weeks, or even months, to completely resolve.  The final postoperative result may not be fully apparent until 9 - 12 months after surgery, but you should look good long before the healing process is complete.  In addition, it is normal for the tip to appear "upturned" in the early postop period.  The tip will gradually drop some during the healing process, so most rhinoplasty surgeons will exaggerate the rotation of the tip at the time of surgery in anticipation that it will drop some as it heals.  Therefore, I would encourage you to be patient with the healing process and don't rush to judgement on the results, because a lot can change over the next few weeks and months.  I would also encourage you to discuss your concerns with your primary surgeon, because they know exactly what was done in the procedure and will be better able to advise and/or reassure you, as needed.  I wish you the best in your recovery.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon