How to research for the best and most experienced rhinoplasty surgeon?

If you want a very experienced, high success rate, honest operation and are willing to pay extra for that experience? or do the best charge the same rate? More specifically relating to nasal hump. I have heard that there is risk of decreased sense of smell, collapsed nose, changed voice, what are the percentages of risk of this happening(I understand this has to do with the surgeon experience) How can you find out a surgeon failure rate or the rate in which the operation did not go as planned ?

Researce for Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Selecting your surgeon will be the most difficult part of your rhinoplasty surgery. Start by finding  board certified surgeon who specializes in this procedure, that is devotes most of their practice to this operation. You want an experienced surgeon who can show you multiple examples of great results in patients who had noses like yours. The complications you mentioned are very rare but established surgeons will have no problem sharing their experiences.

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system.The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Your nose

I have always thought that a Plastic Surgeon with  ENT also training ( doubly board certified) is the best way to go --- but I'm prejudiced as that is my training - cost is not always related to experience -- some of the oldest most experienced surgeons charge reasonable fees - and the younger guys charge more . Speak to some doctors and make sure they are board certified and on staff of a decent hospital and then make your pick.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty

You have very valid questions,to find an experienced surgeon you can start by going to the ASPS or ASAPS websites.  The risks you are worried about are rare but can happen.  Good luck.