Absorption or Wrapping After Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had an Revision Rhinoplasty a year ago, with ear cartilage on my nose bridge to give it a little bit of height. My first rhinoplasty surgeon over-reduced my nose bridge. The cartlage has not wrapped or absorbed, just a little bit or wrap on day 1. The doctor says he's sure that now there will be no absoprtion and wrapping since my nose has accepted the ear cartilage and the blood circulation is there. Is this really the case? I'm scared to death that if it wrapped or absorbed, I will have to do another surgery.

Cartilage absorption after Rhinoplasty.

If its been a year and the profile is good, its unlikely there will be absorption at this late stage. Not impossible however. But there would need to be something like infection or trauma to cause it now.

Revision Rhinoplasty Using Ear Cartilage

In revision rhinoplasty, it is usually necessary to reconstruct and reshape the nasal framework using cartilage grafts. Because available septal cartilage has usually been removed during the first surgery, grafts must obtained from either another site - the ear or the rib.

In the absence of infection or trauma, neighter ear cartialge or rib cartialge absorbs to any appreciable extent. Rib cartilage does have a tendency to warp (curve) -- ear cartilage does not exhibit this same tendency.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

Cartilage grafts are commonly placed for rhinoplasty. Yes, they can warp and resorb. Usually cartilage harvested from yourself, if it has not curved or resorbed at this point, you probably are OK.

Fixing a crooked nose and cartilage warping after rhinoplasty

Warping of cartilage is a recognized complication of a revision or primary rhinoplasty.  The amount of warping or asymmetry can be seen early or as a late complication of surgery.  These changes in cartilage sometimes cannot be predicted.  I also perform a diced cartilage graft to the nose that may have lesser degrees of warping and shifting than larger pieces of cartilage. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cartilage warping or resorption is rare 1 year from surgery

This far out from surgery it is very unlikely that your cartilage graft will resorb or warp. Warping, if it were to occur, usually occurs earlier on in the postoperative course. The blood supply to the cartilage should be well established at this stage so resorption is rare at this stage in the healing process.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Warping or Loss of Cartilage after Augmentation Rhinoplasty

Never say never. There is always a risk of cartilage absorption or warping, but after one year it is unlikey. I wouldn't worry about it. Relax and enjoy your new nose.