When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?

I am 4 weeks post breast augmentation, when is it safe to wear underwire bras ?

Breast Augmentation - When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?

It depends on how the healing is going, and where your incision is.

You should, of course, discuss this with your own plastic surgeon.  I generally request that patients wait until about 4-6 weeks after the surgery (less if a periareolar - nipple - incision was used).  Early on, with any bra, I recommend placing a maxi pad on the inside of the bra to cushion the area around the incision.

However, the entire concept of an underwire bra is less important with implants, as the volume of the breast is already elevated (even with the same size, implanted breasts are generally much higher than unimplanted breasts would be, so the wires are not necessary to the same degree).  Finally, if it's the underwire BRA that you want to wear (ie, the nicer bra, rather than the wire itself) you can simply clip the fabric of the bra, remove the wire, and go ahead and wear the bra (when YOUR surgeon says it's okay!)

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Underwire bras after augmentation

Each surgeon has a different routine and each patient is different. You should check with your surgeon who knows your case best. I tell my patients that they can start wearing an underwire bra when it is comfortable for them and this varies from fairly soon after the surgery to never. Some women don't ever find underwires comfortable.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bra after surgery

There are two reasons why some plastic surgeons prefer to wait before a patient starts to wear an underwire bra.  1)  the lower breast tissue is tight and it would benefit for gravity to stretch the lower breast tissue   2) the incision falls where the underwire also falls and irritation can occur.  If neither of these issues are the case then one can start wearing an underwire bra.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

When can I wear underwire bra after breast augmentation?

The answer depends on several factors, including the position of your implants relative to your nipple areola complex, the incision (scar) site, and your surgeon's recommendation.  In general, you can wear an underwire bra when your surgeon says it is OK to do so.

Steve Laverson, MD

Bras After Breast Augmentation?

Every surgeon's routine is likely to be different so please check with your surgeon for specific advice.

I asked my patients  to stay away from underwire bras  until they have complete sensation along the lower poles  of the breasts. I asked them to do this to avoid under wires irritating the skin (without the patient feeling it).  Most patients  are able to start wearing underwire bras somewhere between 3 and 6 months postoperatively.

When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?Answer:

In most cases implants have settled in 4-6 weeks and my patients can start wearing an underwire bra on a regular basis. But there is some variability and your doctor will advise you best but you will know too… Some women like a bit of a higher implant, with “pop at the top” and others, a little lower and fuller at the bottom. It’s total personal choice. So, when they look and feel right to you…it’s probably time for an underwire!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Underwire after a breast aug

My general advice is to wait one month prior to wearing an underwire bra.  (After a breast aug.)  But - the most important thing is for any garment to not rub against a new surgical wound.  So regardless of the surgery or incision  - do your best to avoid any friction or trauma to the incision until it is well healed! Best of luck.

When Can You Wear Underwire after Breast Augmentation?

I tell my patients that they can begin wearing an underwire bra around 6 weeks after breast augmentation. If their implants have completely dropped, then wearing an underwire should not be an issue. Some  women who have implants that have not completely dropped, will need to wait longer before wearing underwire. If you implants are still high, then you don't want to wear an underwire yet and be pushing the implants up when they are still needing to settle. It is best to ask your surgeon for their recommendations. 

Stanley Castor, MD

Wearing underwire bras after breast augmentation

I generally advise my patients that they can wear an under-wire bra from 6 weeks post-op.

The reasons for this is quite simple. I don't want the "harshness" of an underwire pressing on a young surgical wound (most of my augmentations are done via an incision in the lower breast fold). This could potentially irritate the wound and compromise healing. Having said that, anytime from 3-4 weeks post-op the wound is typically well enough healed to put up with an underwire.

However, it takes about 6 weeks before most of the swelling has gone so this is when patients are advised they should go out and invest in new well-fitted bras. This is therefore when they can/will wear underwire bras.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Underwire Bra after Augmentation

This is a very common question that I get from patients. Typically I advise my patients that it is safe to wear a underwire bra 4 weeks from the date of surgery. However, that can vary from surgeon to surgeon. I would recommend you talk to your Doctor and go by their recommendations. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon