Do saline implants evaporate within the implant at all over time?

Hello, do saline implants evaporate within the implant at all over time? I am wondering because it is water based. Many thanks in advance.

Do saline implants lose volume over time?

Thank you for your question.  In short, no, saline implants should not lose water or volume over time.  If they do, this is a leak and the implants will need to be replaced.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Hello, do saline implants evaporate within the implant at all over time? I am wondering because it is water based. Many thanks i

Thank you for your question. The short answer is no, saline implants do not "evaporate" over time. There are certain features of a saline implant that make it prone to leakage, and when the implant leaks, the saline is rapidly absorbed by the body, but there is not any gradual decrease in size of the implant.Hope this helps!

Good question but simply stated evaporation is not a problem.  The thing to consider however is the fact that in my experience, when compared to silicone gel implants, saline implants have a higher likelihood of deflation in the first ten years that can be disappointing.  If your breast tissue is thick and remains that way the feeling of "saline" may not be detectable but if your tissues thin or are thin, why not consider a cohesive silicone gel implant?  Just food for thought.Regards, Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

No

Saline implants do not evaporate per se however leakage through the valve can lead to underfil. Also cracks in the shell can lead to rupture over time 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Does the Saline evaporate over time?

Thank you for your question.  No the saline does not evaporate over time.  The manufacturer states that the life of the implants is 10-15 years, and at that point they need to be replaced.  If the implant were to ever rupture, then the saline would just absorb in your body like water.
If you have any other questions or would like a reference guide to breast augmentation, you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Saline

No, the saline does not evaporate over time since it stays at body temperature. However, if the bag wear to break, the saline would be absorbed.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon