Can I Take a Shower After Surgery?

I had the heavy eyelid surgery 3 days ago. Is it safe to take a shower?

Shower After Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question.  Please ask your plastic surgeon for their protocol, however I advice my patients to shower and wash their hair as normal, making sure that all products are thoroughly rinsed out.  To prevent any infection as well, a good idea would be to dry incisions with a hair dryer on a cool setting.

All The Best 

Yes, but ask your surgeon first.

You can start showering and shampooing normally the second day after surgery. However, it's best to ask your surgeon because they might have different advice.

Showering after eyelid surgery.

You should ask your surgeon when you can take a shower.  This is very surgeon specific.  I let my patients shower the next morning, with tepid water only and no rubbing of the lids, just let water run over the skin.  Some surgeons may not want the stitches getting wet, other surgeons, like myself, put all the sutures under the skin so thats not an issue.

Showering after lid surgery

This is surgeon dependent.  I let my patients shower and get water over the stitches the day after surgery.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Taking a Shower after Surgery

I usually tell my patients that after 3 days you can take a shower or bath but no water on your face yet.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Shower after surgery

I usually have my eyelid and facelift patients shower the very next day.I tell them be wise use a baby shampoo so if you get soap in your eyes it wont burn.Also be careful blow drying behind your ears because they may be numb.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Showering and surgery?

you definitely want to discuss this with your surgeon as we all have different opinions. I personally have no problem with patients showering. No bending over at the waist, no rubbing your eyes and you should be fine!

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Showering after surgery

You need to ask your operating surgeon about this.  I have a three day rule for my facial patients but that is just because I don't think anyone should have to go three days without washing their hair!  (This also applies to camping trips; no more than three days.)  But seriously, I have my patients take a barely luke warm shower with their back to the shower.  It's okay for the face to get wet but not for the shower to hit the operated area directly.  Don't stay in too long and dab things off with a freshly laundered towel.  And if you drop the shampoo bottle, don't bend over to pick it up!  But really, this is a question you should ask your surgeon. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Showering after eyelid surgery.

At three days post upper eyelid surgery, I would recommend that it is OK to shower.  You would want to make sure that you blot your lids dry and don't rub them.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Showering after eyelid surgery

We usually allow showering after the sutures are removed in three to five days.

Its helpful to keep the suture line moist with antibiotic ointment.

Burr von Maur, MD