Are There Any Non-surgical Ways to Fix Under Eye Hollows?

I have really deep hallows under my eyes, which is causing me to look tired and like I have dark circles. I already consulted a plastic surgeon who said I don't actually have darkness underneath my eyes, it's just that the skin under them is sunken in and the lights in a room causes darkness. When I take a picture with flash or look in a mirror in sunlight, I don't have any darkness. Because I'm 15, I can't have any cosmetic procedures. What else can I do?

Makeup

For your age, makeup is probably your best option. You should wait a few years before considering any medical aesthetic options.

Non-surgical Treatment Of Tear Trough Deformities

Tear trough deformities can be treated non-surgically with hyaluronic acid fillers. These include Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm. These materials are highly effective and very safe. In most cases, they last 6 to 9 months and may last up to a year. They are currently the gold standard for treating tear trough deformities.

Fillers are an excellent option for treating tear trough deformities, unfortunately, they're probably not indicated in someone who's only fifteen. This type of decision needs to be considered carefully and should always involve the patient's parents. Under these circumstances, it's appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who will consider the patient's age, anatomic deformity and aesthetic goals.

Makeup tips can help

I’m sorry to hear about the dark circles under your eyes. Unfortunately, any reputable plastic surgeon would not recommend surgery at this time. You may want to consider this makeup tip: apply creamy concealer that has a yellow base and that’s a bit of a lighter shade than your skin. This helps brighten the area. I’m not a makeup artist, but I’ve found this can help. You can always visit a department store or a place like Sephora in your area for more tips. Usually, they have professional makeup artists there who can help you.

#UnderEyeHollowFix

Although blepharoplasty surgery is the only treatment that is long lasting there are a few things you can do that are of temporary help. Make sure you have an exam to make sure that you do not have weak eye muscles, ptosis, as your cause by an exam by a board certified specialist.

Lower lids: Ceramide creams for the lower lids which in minutes as they dry the clear membrane tightens the lower lid skin minimizing bags and wrinkles. This lasts from 4-8 hrs and can be reapplied as needed. Radiofrequency, laser and peels tighten the skin with minimal downtime. Fillers for fat transfer #lipoinjection, to the lower lid to fill in the cheek-lid depression that casts shadows also helps many.

For the upper lids, Botox in the crows feet area just below the brow will gently lift the lateral brow and lift a bit of the hooding on the side of your eye. This lasts about 3-4 months. Make sure you go to an expert injector associated with a Plastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, or Ophthalmologist skilled in injections.
#NonSurgicalLidAlternatives

#NonSurgicalEyelidOptions

Fillers will fill in under eye hollows

The best non-surgical treatment for the hollows of the lower eyelids is using fillers. There are many on the market. You should find an oculoplastic surgeon who is comfortable using all the products available so you can have the treatment which is best for your specific issue. I would wait until you are 18 years old before having the procedure done. 

Let's be clear right away. I think that 15 years old is too young to begin seeking cosmetic treatment.  Your problem sounds like it could be camouflaged or concealed with makeup allowing you time to mature and develop some fat in the face that will help with this problem even more.  So I know its hard to hear, but I think you should wait it out. That said, there are some alternatives to surgical eyelid rejuvenation. At times, this can be achieved nicely by the astute placement of botulinum toxins, and/or fillers. A combination of one or more of these agents is commonly used to perform eyelid rejuvenation on younger patients, called the "liquid eyelid lift."

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Soft tissue augmentation with injectables for rejuvenation of the lower eyelids in a teenager

The best treatment for you at your age would be with the use of a soft tissue filler such as Juvederm.  Lasers and surgery are not appropriate at your age.  

Non-surgical Ways to Fix Under Eye Hollows

The best non-surgical treatment for under eye hollowness is a filler like Restylane or Juvederm.  This procedure should be done only by an experienced and expert injector due to the risks involved. However, at 15 you should still be cautious and not overly eager to have a procedure. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert injectors in your areas. Wait unless the prevailing recommendation is that you are a candidate.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Nonsurgical treatment Works For Under Eye Hollows, Dark Circles, and Bags

The presence of hollows under the eyes and dark circles was not all that long ago very difficulty to treat. Surgical interventions to stretch the skin in the area, good for fine wrinkles and crinkles, often achieved the opposite effect by accentuating the hollows and shadowing.

Some fairly recent medical revelations have led to a radical shift in our approach. Physicians discovered that the hollows resulted largely from loss of fat volume in the area below the eyes due to shrinkage and gravitational sinking. They also discovered that either in large or part measure,  dark circles resulted from the fact that after the loss of the fat pad, the thin, delicate skin of the lower lid began to reflect the dark color of the small blood vessels and the muscles of facial expression immediately beneath it. These findings led to nonsurgical under eye rejuvenation.

By instilling a filler (I usually prefer Juvederm UltraXC, since it flows smoothly under the thin eyelid skin), you can restore the lost volume to raise the hollow and also brighten the darkness by placing the filler between the dark structures below and the skin. The technique usually takes no more than five minutes per lower eyelid and is relatively painless, since the filler is combined with a local anesthetic. The procedure is one of a number of nonsurgical techniques that usually elicits a "Wow!" from patients the minute they see themselves in the mirror immediately afterward (see link below).

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Under eye hollowness

The best non-surgical treatment for under eye hollowness is a filler like Restylane or Juvederm.  This is a simple non-surgical procedure that can be done in the office in just a few minutes.  The results are instant but only last about 6 months.  When you are older you should consider fat transfer, which give nice results and is longer lasting in most cases.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon