Is there a weight limit requirement for a breast augmentation?

Im 21 i currently weigh 190 and im loosing weght, i am planning to get breast augmentation Sometime in March this upcoming year. Also what are the best implants to get ? I am nearly an A right now .

Augmentation

Thank you for the question and there are no weight requirements and at a complimentary consultation with experts in the area you will become informed what is the best implant and approach for you

Dr Corbin

Weight and Breast Augmentation

You don't mention your height and that is needed to calculate BMI. Basically if your BMI is too high you are at increased risk from anesthesia. 

As far as the implants go, all of the implants on the market are very good. I favor Mentor because of their feel and predictability in my hands. You may want to consider going under the gland instead of under the muscle as people that have more soft tissue tend to get a more defined result with this method.

Best of Luck

Dr. J

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.  

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation weight limit

Hi.  The short answer is that there is no weight limit for breast augmentation.  However, it is important to be near your goal weight at the time of surgery.  If you were to gain or lose weight after the surgery then there is the change your native breast tissue will increase or decrease with this weight change thereby altering your optimal goal size.  In regard to the best implant, this can vary person to person.  Part of it is patient preference.  The rest depends on your anatomy.  For women with smaller breasts in the A cup range I have really been pleased with the shaped implants.  I feel these implants do a great job of giving ideal shape to women with naturally smaller breasts.  

Joseph R. Coscia, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

No weight requirement for breast augmentation

There is no weight requirement for breast implant surgery.  As long as your weight is stable and your breast growth is finished, than you can consider breast implant surgery.  There are too many variables to cover on line with regards to implants, scars, recovery, complications, etc.  So, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs breast augmentation frequently to assure the best possible result.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

There is no weight requirement but it is advised to be in the BMI range of 30 or below. If your BMI is higher than that I would recommend getting it down to at least 30 because anything above 30 is considered in the obese range which isn’t optimal for undergoing elective cosmetic surgery and it puts you at a higher risk of delayed healing. I also recommend that my patients remain at their goal weight for at least 6 months before having surgery done for optimal results because weight fluctuation can cause a change in your results.  Best of luck!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. There are no specific "weight requirements" but always best to be as close as possible to your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with elective breast or body contouring surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant type/size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes as you work towards your goals and for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Weight Loss Pre Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Drastic changes in weight can affect the size/shape of your breasts so for that reason it would be best that you maintain your ideal weight for a few months before planning this surgery. You are able to book a consultation any time you choose. Be sure to select a board certified Plastic Surgeon whose before and after photos appeal to you.

All the best

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Augmentation  and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

BMI Requirement

Great question! We encourage patients to achieve and maintain a healthy BMI prior to consultation. Safety is our top priority--an unhealthy BMI could lead to increased risks and complications. To ensure the most aesthetically pleasing result, it is best to be as close to your goal weight as possible. It is always helpful to bring photos to your consultation of the look you find most desirable. Our practice prefers Mentor implants due to a superior look and feel. Best of luck!