After having the tape removed how can I rid the pain?

Hi! So I had a surgical tape put on after my breast augmentation a week ago and it began giving me a hard time on my back ( a couple inches below my armpit and over a tad bit.. so right on the beginning of my back where the tape stopped ) it was painful like bruising and aching.. however i had the tape removed yesterday , 1 week after surgery and there were no brusies... but it burns and feels raw. What can i do to rid this pain?! It stinging.

Raw feeling after tape

Perhaps you have a "tape burn"causing that raw feeling. You would have to be evaluated in person to be sure. Best of luck.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery difficulties.  Because the area of burning and "raw" sensation is where tape was placed this is a temporary irritation of the skin from the adhesive.  Gentle washing of the area and application of a thick ointment like Aquaphor should help alleviate your symptoms. Make sure you have close follow up with your surgeon to ensure steady improvement until complete clearance takes place.  Hope this helps.

Stinging from tape

Hello, if the stinging and pain persist, or if you develop a rash, I would suggest seeing your family doctor.  In the interim, perhaps an over the counter pain medication might help.

#BreastImplants - tape removed how can I rid the pain?

A mild ointment such as Aquaphor may be adequate for what you're describing or even a mild cortisone cream. However, for all surgeries (and certainly including this one) you should not treat yourself.  You need to contact your PS and make sure that what you're feeling is only a skin issue and not something more.  You may need to see your PS in person or at least talk to him or her on the phone and make a decision after that.  Hopefully it is just something as simple as this but you cannot assume that that's all it is and self-treat.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Pain after surgery

The pain is likely from the surgery and not from the tape.  If there is no visible redness or surface irritation at the pain site, it is likely beneath the skin surface and a result of the surgery.  Positioning, ice, or pain medication may help.  Contact your surgeon for further instruction.

Camille Cash, MD

Surgical Tape

Without a photo it is difficult to know exactly what you are experiencing.   Some patients have an allergy to the adhesive in tape. This causes skin irritation to the area where the tape was and when removed it can take the top layer of skin with it.   I recommend discussing this with your surgeon and following his/her instructions.   Once the tape is removed the skin irritation should heal up on its own fairly quickly.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon