Can diastasis recti be a reason for pregnant looking tummy after eating or drinking something?

My tummy really gets bigger when i eat or drink something. By the end of the day I look like 6 months pregnant.I had my second child in 35 yrs and diastasis recti can be the reason for bulging of stomach even it is empty?

Greetings

Thank you for your question.The abdominal wall gets stretched with pregnancy, and often it's the looseness of the abdominal wall that allows it to stick out, even when you're not pregnant. 

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Bulging

Thank you for the question and YES with pregnancy the abdominal muscles can separate forming a Diastasis Recti or simply put a separation(diastasis) of the rectus abdominus muscle leading to the bulge

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Bulging from eating

Absolutely. Because your abdominal muscles are separated alone the vertical midline, anything within is not contained properly and can bulge out. When you eat, your stomach expands, and this can make it bulge out more.

Eating

Diastasis recti represents a weakness in the abdominal wall which can indeed exaggerate the bulge after eating.  This diagnosis can be made on physical examination and is routinely repaired at the time of abdominoplasty.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

"Pregnant -looking tummy"

Hello and thanks for your question

rectus diastasis can contribute to a "pregnant-looking" tummy but it's often a multi factorial issue. The abdominal wall gets stretched with pregnancy, and often it's the looseness of the abdominal wall that allows it to stick out, even when you're not pregnant. In combination with bloating from food intake and loose skin and fat in the lower abdomen, it can sometimes make us look like we're pregnant, even when we're not, which is of course I big dissatisfier!

An in-person consult with an experienced plastic surgeon can help you figure out what's causing the shape you don't like, and what can be done about it.

Best wishes-

Diastasis

Yes, a diastasic often develops after having children or gaining a lot of weight and then losing it.  Often surgical repair will be necessary to tighten the area to recreate a flat stomach.

I Look Pregnant After Eating And Drinking

A rectus diastasis could be the culprit, however there are many people without a rectus diastasis who look bloated after eating and drinking as food and fluid take up space in your abdominal cavity, causing abdominal distention. This is especially true after overeating. This normal bodily response after eating and drinking is the very reason many models will not eat or drink immediately before a photo shoot - so they can have as flat a stomach as possible for their photos. An in-person evaluation will help to assess if you have a diastasis that can be repaired to help decrease your abdominal wall laxity. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Diastasis Recti

Although that may be the reason, its best to have an in-office evaluation t rule-out other causes.

A through consultation with an experienced surgeon will clarify the differences and your options to treat this issue easily. 

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.  

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Pregnant appearance

Yes, separation of the rectus muscles can lead to a bloated appearance throughout the day.  It is one of the reasons women, even without a lot of excess skin, will consider an abdominoplasty.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis recti after pregnancy

Diastasis recti and abdominal wall laxity can cause increased abdominal distensión, specially after eating. A tummy tuck with muscle plication will fix this.