California Disability insurance for tummy tucks?

Does California Disability Insurance cover tummy tucks?

Plastic Surgery and SDI Benefits

A simple internet search answers your question! The website for the State of California Employment Development Department states: "Elective and cosmetic surgeries are covered by DI. Your physician/practitioner must certify that you are disabled and cannot do your regular or customary job duties because of the surgery, and you must meet the basic eligibility requirements."

You should also know there is a 7-day NON-PAYABLE waiting period so in addition to saving money for your tummy tuck, you may want to consider saving enough money to cover at least a week's worth of pay.  

Sacramento Physician

California DI does cover your tummy tuck procedure

Let's be clear in what we mean by "disability insurance covering your tummy tuck."  The State of California disability plan will NOT cover any of the actual costs of your surgery.  It is a cosmetic procedure, and you are responsible for that.  What it will cover is paying a portion of your salary while you are unable to work and your surgeon certifies that you are "completely disabled," meaning unable to perform the duties of your usual and customary occupation, even with limitations and restrictions.  It pays you 55% of your usual wages, calculated using their formula, and it doesn't start until you have been disabled for a week.  That is, from the 8th day of disability onward, you will get benefits.  Your doctor has to keep updating your request as long as you stay disabled, and the maximum it can last is 52 weeks (I would hope most elective cosmetic patients return to work far sooner than that).  There you have it.  I know this is true because I have had to fill out more of these papers than I like to for my own patients over the years - not that I don't want to help my patients, I love my patients, I just hate paperwork!!  Good luck.

Tummy Tuck

The abdominoplasty procedure, or tummy tuck, is a purely cosmetic operation and not covered by any insurance in my experience.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Usually cosmetic surgical procedures are not covered insurance. Most Cosmetic Surgery practices offer financing options. But you can always check with your insurance company.