I'm a nurse and I'm getting a tummy tuck and I wanted to know how long before I can go back to work full duty?

Recovery time after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. I have operated on many nurses who have undergone a tummy tuck. It is rare that nurses have only desk jobs - and most underestimate just how much work they do and how much lifting and walking they do as they take care of patients! Since most abdominoplasties involve tightening of the abdominal wall fascia, you will need to restrict your activities during the first six weeks after a tummy tucks so that your repair is not compromised. If the fascial sutures do tear, you may end up with a localized bulge that will compromise your result. Therefore, no patient lifting, but also no lifting of anything more than 15 pounds, no squatting, and in general avoiding any core trunk exercises. My best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Allow 6 to 8 weeks before resuming your work full capacity.

There are many physical demands involved in the nursing profession, including lifting patients. For this reason, it’s advised that you modify your duties until 6 to 8 weeks after your tummy tuck. Although many women are able to return to work within 2 weeks of an abdominoplasty, you may need more time to recover before you’re able to resume your line of work. Work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in tummy tuck procedures, and carefully follow their recovery guidelines to optimize your results.

Greetings

Thank you for your question. After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work

If you’re getting a tummy tuck and correcting diastasis recti, you might have to refrain from full nursing duties for about 8 weeks. Nursing can involve strenuous activities, like lifting patients, therefore 8 weeks is recommended. However, if your work is sedentary, then you can return much sooner. Having said that, you should really ask your surgeon what they recommend. Their advice might be different.

When can I return to full duty as a nurse after tummy tuck?

If your nursing duties include heavy lifting, moving patients, and similar duties, then you will be advised not to do this for 6-8 weeks after your surgery.  However, if you could modify your return to work and temporarily be on light duty schedule, then you could be back at work by 2-3 weeks.  Discuss with your plastic surgeon.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Time off work

In my practice, most of my patients return to work at 2 weeks so long as no strenuous activities are required.  Your surgeon is in charge of your care and post operative instructions so please follow those recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery. After a tummy tuck and muscle repair it's typically recommended that you not lift greater than 10-15 pounds for six weeks. If you are able to avoid lifting/transfers/etc, I would anticipate that you would be back at work after 2-3 weeks. Speak with your surgeon about their exact recommendations.

When can I do back to work?

Generally I advise my patients to plan for a two week recovery after Tummy Tuck. While you should be able to work at a computer and be mobile after 5 days you need to not be under any stress during your recovery.
Recovery also depends on the type of Tummy Tuck. Recovery from a Full Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair will take longer than recovery with a Mini.
Plan two to three weeks. If you recover sooner that will be a plus for you.

I recommend to ask this to your PS, he knows your medical history and he will give the best answer, good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck recovery period

Thank you for your question.  It is usually recommended that patients avoid strenuous activity and lifting more than 10-15 lbs for six weeks following a tummy tuck.  As long as your work does not require heavy lifting (patients), you would likely be able to return after 2-3 weeks.  To be sure, discuss the postoperative instructions with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Thank you for the question. Normally a full recovery in general can take from 6-8 weeks. This can allow you to return to normal activities without any restrictions in most patients. If you perform light duty you may be able to return to work as early as 2 weeks. It is best to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.