Exercise after tt?

What exercises can I do after tt from Week 1 to Week 12. And when will I be able to do movements like jumping jacks, push ups, high knees and weights?

Exercise after a Tummy Tuck

It seems every surgeon has their own preferences, from weeks 1 to 3, ambulation is important to avoid blood clot risk but nothing approaching exercise up until 3 weeks.  At 3 weeks the risk of bleeding is extremely low and I allow my patients to go for some walks.  Any type of core exercise must be avoided for the first 8 weeks after surgery.  I allow any exercise, any weights and any core activities after 8 weeks.  I hope you find this information helpful.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after tt?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase your activity level. But remember that is really important to have a closely communication with your PS about your desicions. Best wishes. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Return to Activity After Tummy Tuck

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

Although this swelling and other certain issues may persist for months, you can still return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks. This would include all of your exercises. If you find that at this six week period you are still worried about returning to full workout activity you should be able to have another post-op check up with your surgeon to make sure that everything is good to go. 

Tummy tuck and activity

I usually allow patients to start  light aerobics by about 3-4 weeks and then more vigorous exercise by about 6-8 weeks.  Best to check with your surgeon.

Exercise following tummy tuck

Following an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) I advise patinets to refrain from lifting, pushing, pulling, or straining anything over 5-8lbs for a total of 6 weeks. At their 3-4 week mark patients can slowly start aerobic activity but still no weight lifting or dedicated abdominal work.  I encourage you to speak with your board certified plastic surgeon to verify that you are adhering to his/her post-opertaive instructions. 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Exercising after Tummy Tuck

For the first 4 weeks following a tummy tuck procedure, I request that my patients refrain from any exercising and/or heavy lifting.  With that said, patients are encouraged to walk slowly (not for exercise) after surgery to help promote good circulation.  During these first 4 weeks I also ask that my patients wear a light weight compression garment as close to 24 hours/day as possible for comfort and to help reduce swelling.  Depending upon how a patient is progressing, most patients can begin some form of light exercise beginning week 6.  

I do caution patients that once they are cleared to begin exercising again that they are not at the same strength and/or stamina level as they had been pre-operatively.  I recommend that patients ease back into their normal exercise routine once they have been cleared by their operating surgeon but that they forego super strenuous exercise until at least the 8 week mark.

Please discuss exercise restrictions with your operating surgeon who is most familiar with your case, as he/she is most qualified to advise.

Exercising after a Tummy Tuck

Part of a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) is the repair of the muscle separation that occurs, affecting your core muscles. When these muscles are repaired the patient's core is obviously affected, and most exercises require the use of core muscles. That being said, a gradual increase in activity is safe and helpful. Once your drains have been removed and your surgeon gives you permission you can begin walking. In our office we will teach patients simple core "control" exercises to help them regain strength in their muscles safely. After they can control their core muscles then a significant increase in activity can begin. By 6 weeks most patients are back to easy running and seated weight lifting. We generally advise against directed core strengthening exercises for 3 months (other than what we have taught them). Ultimately you can return to full strenuous activity!

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after tummy tuck?

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 2-3 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a tummy tuck. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon regarding any concerns you may have. Good luck in your recovery.

TT

Thank you for your question. After a tummy tuck you need a good amount of time to heal. To reduce swelling, a compression garment will be worn for approximately 4 weeks after surgery. Light exercise can begin around week 6. Core exercises can be started at 3 months post op. I do not recommend abdominal crunches for up to 8 months post op. It is best to speak with your board certified plastic surgeon about their post-op instructions as far as exercising after your procedure. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD