How long does it take for a Rhinoplasty to heal?

i want to get a rhinoplasty, but im unsure how long the process is. i work 5 days and getting time off is no problem. but i dont want to show up to work with a bandage or bruises,scars. i also would like to know an estimate of how much it cost. monthly payments preferably .

Rhinoplasty questions

thank you for your question.  rhinoplasty is a complex surgery and possibly the most difficult of all plastic surgery procedures.  thus, how long it takes you to heal will depend on what is done to your nose.  breaking your bones will typically result in more bruising and swelling and thus will impact how quickly you recover.  if your rhinoplasty involves breaking bones, i would recommend taking 2 weeks off work and expect swelling to slowly resolve over 1 year.  costs will vary depending on what is performed on your nose and if you undergo general anesthesia.  best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

It take about one week for the initial swelling and bruising to subside so you go back to work. But, due to the complex nature of the nose, swelling may take several months to resolve after a rhinoplasty.  It is important to know that due to swelling there is significant internal and external swelling. This swelling may causes nasal obstruction as well as widening of the nose. 

In our practice, the cost of a nose job (cost of rhinoplasty) generally runs from about $9,000 to $15,000, depending on the exact procedure to be performed. Where the surgery is completed is also a major factor. If the nose job must be done in a hospital instead of an outpatient surgery center, the cost will be higher. It also includes the cost of anesthesiologist. And finally, the main factor influencing the prices of nose job is the surgeon fee, and this depends on his/her training and the experience. A good nose job requires a specialist and skilled surgeon; the cost will rise in line with the surgeon’s experience. The cost of a nose job should never be the only deciding factor in choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon. You want to take into account whether you feel comfortable with the surgeon, as well as the doctor's experience and other qualifications. Always choose a board certified surgeon with experience in nose job. Make sure to look at before and after pictures to get a feel for the results the doctor has previously produced for other patients.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Recovery Immediately after Rhinoplasty Surgery

A cast is present on the bridge for 6 days after surgery. Bruising and swelling is present for about 10-12 days but this can be camouflaged with make-up my staff provides. I recommend that my patients avoid strenuous activities for 2-3 weeks. Recovery will vary depending on what is done during your surgery but in general I recommend allowing 10-14 days if you want to be totally private about your surgery. Cost vary with each patient  depending on their needs but is explained before surgery.

Rhinoplasty Healing

Good question. 

I recommend 10 days off  to allow a few days of healing after the cast and tape are removed.  Bruising is variable, but last as long as 2 weeks.  

The cost of the procedure includes three fees:  surgeon, anesthesia, surgery center.  Costs are highly variable so it is best to have a consultation to get an itemized quote.  

I hope this helps you make an informed decision. 

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS

Healing time for rhinoplasty

dear msvalery,

• In general we recommend taking off two week to fully heal
  • We have found some nice treatments that have reduced the bruising down to about 1 week, but you will still be a little swollen
  • If you feel/look better sooner, you may be able to return to work sooner
  • Payments can be arranged through financing companies, costs will vary widely (4K-40K) depending on the doctor, experience, and results
  • Although you shouldn't have to spend a ton of money, be wary of surgeons that are too inexpensive, you may end up paying more to fix any issues

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have. After a rhinoplasty, your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. You can generally return back to work after about a week but at this point you will still be swollen, possibly bruised and have your splint on. I would wait at least 2 weeks to return back to work if you want most of the initial evidence from your rhinoplasty to be resolved. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. In regards to cost, it varies based on location and surgeon. I can tell you that the RealSelf average cost of a rhinoplasty is around $7,000-$8,000. Most practices offer financing options such as Carecredit. The office may offer anywhere from 6-18months payment plan options so to get an estimate of how much your month cost would be I would just divide the average cost by the monthly options and there is an idea of your monthly costs. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

How long does it take to heal from a rhinoplasty procedure?

In our practice, the cast  is placed across the bridge of the nose at the completion of the procedure and stays in place for one week. Patients usually have visible bruising and swelling for two weeks. After that, the swelling is mostly located in the tip of the nose wish subsides slowly over the next several months to one year. Patients are able to get back to their normal social /regular activities at two weeks. For more information, many examples of rhinoplasty, and our current price list, please see the link and the video below

Recovering from rhinoplasty and returning to work.

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. The immediate recovery period can last 7-10 days. At 7 days, the cast, tape, and stitches are removed. If there is bruising, it may take 14 days to fade enough for make-up to cover it up well. If your job only requires light activity, you can return to work as soon as you are off of narcotic pain medications. 

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon