Is the damage after a broken nose PERMANENT?

Nose deformity after fracture

Over 50% of patients who had nose fracture end up with permanent deformity. This deformity can be successfully corrected with  rhinoplasty. Severe deformity may require a complex reconstruction in particular if there is functional deformity (difficult breathing, nasal obstruction). Corrective nasal surgery is usually done 6-12 months after initial trauma. In the case of severe deformity surgery should be done earlier.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

damage after a broken nose PERMANENT?

Hello, and thank you for your question. 

Whether the damage after trauma to the nose is permanent depends really on the severity of the injury and what has been damaged. 

Sometimes there is a break in the nasal bones without too much displacement and as such this might well heal without too much in the way of longer term problems. There are other structures which are present for strength and function such as the internal and external valves of the nose and of course the partition or septum which if significantly damaged can block then nasal airway as well as change the profile. Therefore some injuries will only be able to be addressed by surgical intervention but you will need careful assessment by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

I hope that you found this answer helpful.

Best wishes

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to the nose

Trauma to the nose can cause a displaced, or a nondisplaced nasal fracture, a deviated septum, and dislocation of the upper lateral cartilages off of the nasal bones. A thorough examination of the internal and external portion of the nose by a double board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon is recommended when the nose is broken. A broken nose is permanent until fixed with a rhinoplasty procedure. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Damage after nasal broken

Damage after nasal break/fracture is correctable at any time; if treated early, you need a simle reduction, if treated late, then a closed rhinoplasty is required. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Nasal fracture healing?

The nose starts healing immediately and it takes the swelling 3-6 months for the last little bit of swelling to recede..

Is the damage after a broken nose permanent?

rosiecon12,

After a nose is broken, it begins to heal just like the other parts of the body. Similar to the other parts, if it is not brought back into a normal position, it will set in the new position. Even after it heals, the opportunity to adjust the shape of the nose is still there, but there are also limitations. Although I am able to improve the shape of the broken nose, I never tell a patient I will give them their old nose back.  

I recommend meeting with a nose surgeon who can explain the situation specific to your nose.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon