Post Hair Transplant. Hair implanted into my temples seem to come out perpendicular to scalp and stick out

Reasonably happy post FUE procedure however hairs implanted into my temples seem to come out perpendicular to scalp and stick out, compared to original hairs. Any products/things I can do have these hairs fall down , similar to neighboring hairs? Thanks

If the hairs are going in an odd direction it is likely a technical issue when the sites were made.

If the hairs are going in an odd direction it is likely a technical issue when the sites were made.  Transplanted hairs to eyebrows and side temples sometimes tend grow out with a steeper angle (lift up) but it should not grow perpendicular.  You need to follow up with your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair at wrong angle

Unfortunately I see this type of problem coming into me for repair out of the san diego area frequently.  In the past we have had to do laser hair removal to remove the poorly transplanted grafts and then re-graft them in the future. You can also try to train the hairs to grow more flat with time by using gel and hair styling techniques however this frequently does not seem to work well.  Followup with your doctor and see what they recommend.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair direction in temples

If you are concerned about the direction of your hairs in your grafts, go back to see your doctor and express your concerns. This can't be done over the internet

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted hairs sticking out perpendicular to temples

thePKM,Sorry to hear about your result. It is difficult to advise without at least seeing some high resolution images. Temple hair transplantation requires meticulous technique so the hairs have to be put in at 0-10 degrees or else they will stick out.
Sincerely,
Bernardino A . Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Odd angles

Hair transplant in the temples is all about the angles.  Like the brows, the angle of the site has to be as flat as possible.  Why?  Because transplanted hair tends to grow in at about a 15 degree UP angle! - UG!The other trick is to use sites that are "coronal" instead of "saggital" - like making a little flap instead of a slot.  If you tuck the hair under the flap, then as it grows out it is less likely to lift.

In your case, try using gel or other hair products (like wax) to train the hair to grow flat as it is growing in.  If they don't train to grow in flat (and some may not) you may have to either cut these hairs short so the lift is not as obvious, or pluck/electrolysis/laser them away.  Most Importantly!! - Go back to your original surgeon and show them the results.  Don't be litigious or anything - just show them how it came out so they can know.  This is a classic beginner mistake and your doc might just need you to teach them so they can be better the next time!

Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

#hairtransplant angle and direction

one of the most important parts of Hairtransplant is making incisions in the recipient area. If the angle and direction of the incisions are not done right then it will look unnatural when the hair grows in. If the hair is growing straight up then the incisions were made in that direction. lateral incisions and layering technique  made in the right direction and orientation will result in the best natural result. This part of procedure depends on experience and artistic skill of the surgeon.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Temple Hairs

Unfortunately, those grafts should have been placed at a much more acute angle.  I would suggest you talk with you surgeon about removing and re-implanting them.  That's the only permanent solution.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist