New hair coming through 5 months post FUE hair transplant in only spot? (Photos)

5 months ago I had a FUE transplant for my receeding hairline. Now new hair has started to come through, however my right side new hairs are only coming through on my hairline, leaving a very large space beind with very little/no growth. Does it look like enough grafts have been placed in the balding area as I thought there should have been a bit more consistent amount of growth evenly through my balding area. The hairline is coming through thick but behind that is not. Is this normal growth. Thanks.

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.  Hairs may not all start to grow evenly.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Growth at 5 months

Hello, it is common to get irregular growth at the 5 month mark. Please wait till the 9 month period before making an assessment. Please go back to your hair transplant surgeon to review your progress. There are a few two hair grafts at the extremity of your hairline so I am assuming you still have some 1 hair grafts to grow through.

5 Months post op

Transplanted hairs start to visibly regrow between months 4-6. At month 6-9, a patient may expect to see growth for  80% of the transplants. Again, due to the random cycle of hair growth, not all grafts will start growing at the same time. Initially, the hair my be thinner and finer. It will gain length and density as it matures. 

Full growth from the transplants is usually achieved at 12 months. All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Growth at 5 months

Very often growth is not uniform, coming out in one area and not another. Just wait and in the next couple of months the rest should grow

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair growth after FUE

It is not uncommon to see continued hair growth until 8-12 months after the procedure. I would call your surgeon and review your progress.  

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon