Do I Need to Have 10 Year Old Saline Implants Replaced?

It has been 10 years since I had my saline breast implants. I have slight rippling and one is slightly higher than other and they are too far apart. The teardrop was good for me back then, but now I am heavier and believe I should be a bit fuller and higher. I also had some trauma to the breast last week. The implant doesn't seem to be ruptured but I am very sore. Am I in a rush to have them replaced? Do you think I need to see a doctor?

There is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you'd like to change the size.
Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you don't need to do anything.

Replacing Saline Implants

Having to replace implants every 10 years is somewhat a myth. You only need to replace them if you need to, meaning if they deflate. You would know if they are leaking in about a day, as the leaking implant side would go flat. So you should only pursue surgery not because your implants might need to be replaced but because you would like to make more upper pole fullness and have more cleavage and so forth.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Do I Need to Have 10 Year Old Saline Implants Replaced

If the #saline breast #implants are ruptured or more than 10 years old, consideration should be given to replacement.  Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your breast augmentation. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Routine breast implant replacement at 10 years

Hi, thank you for your question.  We used to tell patients that their implants would need to be replaced every ten years,as prior data had shown that implant shell wears out at this time and that there was a higher rupture staring at 7-10 years.  However, the newer implants are more durable, and in most cases will last longer than ten years.  I advise patients to see me once per year for a brief evaluation, and if the implant looks and feels good, there's no need to replace it.  If you are noticing changes, such as rippling and a position change, then it makes sense to see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assess you and give you some options about replacement. Best wishes.

Need to replace saline breast implants?

While you would benefit with an in person consultation with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options, your recommendation does not suggest that you need to replace immediately. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

No need to replace saline filled implants

If your implants are not having problems then can leave them alone. There is no need to replace an implant if it is not giving you problems and you are happy with your size and shape.

If you're concerned, make an appointment with your PS.

If you’re bothered by implant size, shape, rippling or malposition it’s always reasonable to exchange your breast implants.However, exchange of a breast implant because they’ve been present for a set period of time isn’t necessary.
There’s a general misconception that breast implants should be replaced every ten years.The origin of this belief is unclear, but is probably secondary to misinterpretation of implant warranty terminology.
The manufacturers of breast implants clearly state that these devices aren’t intended to last a lifetime, despite this, many patients can expect to have implants last their entire lifetime.Current studies suggest that implants deflate at a rate of one percent at one year and three percent at three years.Over time, this number can be expected to grow.
Implants may deflate with no apparent cause or may deflate secondary to some type of trauma.Under these circumstances, the decision to replace the implant is easy.If a patient is doing well and not having problems with their breast implants, we see no reason to routinely replace implants just because a set period of time has passed.
If you’re concerned about the appearance of your breasts, it’s appropriate to consult your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to address your concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

10 Year Old Implants Replaced

Some implant manufacturers recommend that implants be replaced every 10 years. This is a recommendation, not a requirement. However, an implant exchange is fairly simple with minimal downtime if the implant is intact. If the implant is ruptured, the surgery can be more complicated.

Eugene Kim, MD

Reasons to replace Saline Breast Implants

Dear Twins,

No rush to get them replaced! There is a misconception floating around that implants need to be replaced every 10 years. The best I can think of is that most of the implant warranties expire after 10 years. If your breasts are soft and you are happy with them, there is no reason to consider surgery. In your case, trauma can cause a deflation, but you will definitely know if that occurs. If you are bothered by positioning, ripples, etc, that is a secondary reason to consider revision, and could be discussed with your surgeon.

Do not replace saline breast implants until they go flat!

It is urban legend that saline implants need to be replaced on a periodic basis. Unlike ruptured silicone implants, which are difficult to detect, you will know when your salines deflate. I tell my patients, it is like popping a balloon.

Older salines deflate in a few hours, today's may take a week to go flat. The reason not to routinely change the implants at 10 years is you might remove an implant that was destined to last 20 years and replace it with a new one that could leak in a year or two.

Wrinkles and malposition are an entirely different reason to have revision surgery. If these are the problems that are really bothering you and not the age of the implants, then you should consult with a cosmetic plastic surgeon to explore correction of those issues. Smooth silicone implants tend to have less problem with wrinkles than salines.

Do not undergo surgery to replace perfectly good implants. Good luck

Richard L. Dolsky, MD (retired)
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon