How Long Before Incision from Breast Augmentation Heals?

I recently had a revision done through crease incision for one side of my breast. Because I have very very thin skin, I am concerned about the breast implant breaking layers of skin. What suggestions / ideas do you have to keep the pressure of the implant off the incision until it heals?

I am wearing a support bra although it can be uncomfortable because the band is at where the incision is. Normally, how long will it take for the incision to completely heal and seal? Your opinion would very much be appreciated. Thank you.

Healing after breast augmentation reivision

Implant extrusion is very rare after breast augmentation.  Incisions are usually closed in couple layers of sutures.  Unless your skin is really thin without much breast tissue, implants should not extrude.  The incision will be "healed"  within a week; however, scar will continue to remodel and gain strength for next 6- 12 months.

Complete healing is relative

Usually the incision is healed enough to allow one to remove sutures and get the incision wet within a few days. However, the strength of the scar is a dynamic issue and changes as time passes. There is also modification of the collagen as the scar matures. Most patients should be able to resume active exercise within 3 weeks or so but you should be mindful of irritation to the scar. Your surgeon should be able to guide your specific case as he knows the anatomy of your revision and the size of your implants.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Initial healing on its way by 1 week, most deep healing is done within 4-6 weeks

Hi,

Every incision through the layers of skin needs some time to heal. The superficial healing is done within a week, but the deeper healing may take 4-6 weeks. During this period of time, don't worry -- your implant should not break the skin. Sometimes a very large and heavy implant can cause the incision to stretch slightly as it heals, however. Wearing a support bra is helpful. I would avoid an underwire bra as this will irritate your incision. If the band hits your incision and this is painful, you can put a small piece of gauze or cotton at that site to take some of the pressure off the incision. Within a month after surgery this should become much more comfortable. Good luck!

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Few weeks to several months

It could take 6 month for the wound to gain near maximum intensity. However, in 3-6 weeks your wound should reach a stable stage. The remodeling of the scar will continue to occur until full healing. Wearing support bra with no underwire is a good way to avoid too much pressure on the incision.hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Re: Incision Healing Time for Breast Revision

Good question.

Fast Answer: Incisions take 24-48 hours to “seal”; time until completely healed is 4-6 weeks.

Detailed Answer: This answer depends on what you meant by healed. If you are asking when the incision is sealed that is about 24 hours. This is why it is safe for you to take a shower the day following surgery. If you are asking time until totally healed and the incision has significant strength, then it takes about 4-6 weeks. This is why you can typically go back to upper body lifting at 4-6 weeks. If you are asking when the incision will be strong enough so that you don’t have to worry about your revision opening up, then I would safe after 1 week.

I hope that helps! Best of Luck!

Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Wound Healing Following Breast Augmentation

Wound healing is a dynamic process that in many cases lasts for more than a year. Most wounds regain the majority of their tensile strength in about six weeks, but continue to remodel for at least a year.

Although you’re concerned about thin skin and implant extrusion, this would be an unusual complication unless you had other associated problems such as infection. Surgeons close these wounds in multiple layers and the deeper tissue is closed as well. The use of a support bra would take pressure off the closure and provide added support. 

Incision heals quickly, scar matures slower

Your incision is completely heled within two weeks, but the scar can undergo changes for up to a year.  If your bra is putting pressure on the incision, consider finding one whenre the elastic is lower on the chest and you can also place a piece of guaze over the incision to relieve some of the pressure.

Breast Implant Extrusion and Incision Disruption

Breast implant revision can involve incising a previous incision site. In your particular case, extrusion of the implant through the incision site can be prevented by meticulous layered closure of the underlying muscle and soft tissue. Extrusion is rare, but can occur with severely atrophied breast parenchyma.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Incision Healing after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Implant extrusion is very rare after primary breast augmentation. Incisions are usually closed in multiple layers of sutures and there are several layers between the skin and the implant. Unless you've had previous surgery, radiation therapy or have a connective tissue disorder, implants should not extrude. Remember that suture is just a fancy name for string and that the strength of the skin for the first six weeks is dependent upon just that. As the scar heals and matures, it regains strength over the first six weeks. The scar goes through a remodeling phase for the subsequent 6-12 months. Scar healing takes time and generally achieves equilibrium at that point. You should discuss your particular case with your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure healing is proceeding appropriately. Only a physical exam and knowledge of your specific medical conditions can provide absolute reassurance. Hope this helps!

Rahim Nazerali, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Healing After Breast Revision Surgery

Implant extrusion is extremely rare but it is always best to express all concerns with your surgeon. Your surgeon has a full understanding of all of your individual circumstances and therefore can respond to your concerns based on your unique situation. Superficial healing of the skin is complete between 1 to 2 weeks post surgery and the deeper layers of the skin can take 4 to 6 weeks. To take some pressure off the incision site you could try a support bra that sits below the incision vs. on the incision or you could try to pad the incision with gauze to help decrease your discomfort.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon