Are my uneven nostrils due to a deviated septum? (photo)

My nose wasn't always uneven, I noticed it around middle school.

Causes of nostril deviation

It does appear that you might have a deviated septum which is the most likely reason that your left nostril is more slit-like and narrower than your right nostril. However, other causes such as asymmetric cartilages that make up the tip of your nose can also be a cause. A good examination would help to make a more exact determination. Good luck in your area.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry ?

The nose is a structure that can be asymmetric but  in your case, I believe you have diagnosed your condition correctly.  There are other anatomic variations  that could also cause  nostril and tip asymmetry which can be easily  determined by your plastic surgeon

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Septal deviation and uneven nostrils

Septal deviations can cause both functional problems (obstructed breathing) and aesthetic problems (uneven shape to your nose), depending on the location of the deviation. 
A caudal (bottom) septal deviation can definitely cause both uneven nostrils and trouble breathing. 
Problems breathing and uneven shape can be caused by a number of other issues, so it's important to have a consultation where your doctor can ask about the symptoms your are experiencing and then examine your nose. This is the best way to identify the cause.  

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for the bulbous tip and uneven nostrils

To make the decision about a deviated septum requires a thorough internal and external examination of the nose. There are many issues that can cause asymmetry of the nostrils which includes the anatomy of the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip and a caudal deviation of the nasal septum. The bulbous tip is reduced with suture techniques and conservative cartilage removal, while an adjustment to the caudal septum can straighten that area. For more information and many examples, please see the information located on the link below

Yes, it appears a septum deviation in the cadual or bottom part of the septum is causing your nostril asymmetry.  Removing the part of the septum that is buckling or straigtening the caudal part with some cartilage grafts would be necessary to correct.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Deviated septum and uneven nostrils

Yes, the notrils are likely uneven from deviated septum. Fixing the septum will make them more symmetrical. RegardsDr.J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nostrils

It's possible but from just this one view you can't know for sure. You also appear to have asymmetric tip cartilages which are contributing as well. It's best for you to go for a consult and complete exam. Then you would have the most accurate information to guide your choices.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils

I see this issue all the time. The fact that nostrils appear asymmetric on basal view is an indication that there could be septal deviation to one side or the other causing the entry point of the nostrils to be different. There's also the possibility that the cartilage of the tip of the nose called the lower lateral cartilage is slightly longer on your left side. Properly executed nasal tip surgery and refinement and realignment of the supple cartilages can lead to a much more balanced and natural appearing nose. I recommend that you seek the advice of a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon. Thank you for your comments and I wish you the best of luck.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are my uneven nostrils due to a deviated septum?

Probably not. I've had patients with symmetric noses and terribly deviated septums, and vice versa, so they don't always go hand-in-hand. Based on your photo I feel that some other cartilages are at least part of the issue. The left lower lateral cartilage appears overdeveloped, leading to asymmetry of the tip and it is driving the tip to the right, which is causing an asymmetry of the columella and a visible mesial crural footplate on the left. If that is indeed the case, those asymmetries can be corrected with a rhinoplasty +/- septoplasty, not just a septoplasty.
Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon