If I get Embrace after Tummy Tuck, can I use them all over from hip to hip or just for the middle section?

If I get Embrace after TT, can I use them all over from hip to hip or just for the middle section? I know there expensive, but Im more concerned with how my scar on my hips are going to look than anything. Thank you

Purpose of Embrace

Dear PDolphin,

You can use the Embrace on any scar you wish; however, remember the principle is to relieve tension that would distract and pull the incision apart so that you get a finer, tension-free scar. Clearly, the greatest benefit is going to be in the center of the scar because that is where the most tension is.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Embrace and Tummy Tuck

We routinely use embrace after TT.  The most tension in a TT is at the center of the incission right over the pubis so that's the most important part (that's where the money is) as you get off the center the scars tend to heal more smoothly, less wide so the manufacturers recommend to use it in the center.  There's nothing wrong with trying to cover more of the scar with it but it starts to get costly.  If you don't mind the expense then have at it! it won't hurt your scars to use more.

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Agree with my colleagues. Start applying Embrace from the middle of your incision because that is where the greatest amount of tension is. Typically, 2 sheets should cover the majority of the incision and the ends heal fine on their own. Good luck!

Scar

Embrace can be used along the entire incision, although the tension offloading effect is most needed in the central 1/3 of the scar where the tension is greatest.  I sit on the medical advisory board for Neodyne and have been using the product for 2 years now with nice results.  Stay with it.  Hope this helps.
Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Embrace after tummy tuck

The use of embrace after a tummy tuck is a great option. Typically my patients use the embrace in the central aspect of the incision where tension is the greatest. However it's also reasonable to use it towards the hips as well. Typically the embrace is placed two weeks after surgery, and is continued weekly for 6 to 8 weeks after. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Embrace scar therapy after tummy tuck

I am a big proponent of the use of Embrace scar therapy after tummy tucks.  I do think the relief of tension on the healing scar can make a significant difference in the final appearance of the scar.  Tension in a tummy tuck is greatest in the middle of the scar, so this is where Embrace will make the most difference.  My patients typically will use 2 sheets to cover the entire incision from hip to hip.  The most outer portion of the incision can be left uncovered and it will likely still heal well.

Naveen Setty, MD

Embrace after tummy tuck

You can use the Embrace along the entire incision.   The product works by reducing tension on the incision as it heals. Therefore the most benefit will likely be gained along the central part of your incision where the tension is the greatest.  There is also some benefit to the silicone in the product which might help with scarring.  It can get expensive to treat the entire incision, so many practitioners will use the Embrace only in the central part of the incision where it is most effective.   

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Embrace for Tummy tuck scars

You can use the Embrace silicone sheets over your entire tummy tuck incision. The tension is greatest in the middle portion of the scar, so that's where the product will have the most impact. If you can get most of your incision covered with two strips be sure to include the middle portion. If an inch or two on the ends are not covered that's typically not an issue as the tension is lowest near the hips.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Embrace Scar Therapy

The purpose of the product is to reduce tension on the scar, which aids it in healing optimally.  For the tummy tuck scar the point of maximum tension is in the middle of the long scar, so that is where you would find the most benefit out of the product.  However, it will be helpful all along the scar line and is beneficial to use it along the scar length.

Camille Cash, MD

Embrace Active Scar Defense

Embrace Active Scar Defense is a great scar solution because it addresses one of the main factors of scar formation - tension. It is most important to place the active scar device in the middle of your scar, where there is the most tension. However, it is beneficial to have Embrace placed on the entire scar so that the tension can be relieved along the entire incision. This can only help further diminish scar lines and promote healing. The number of strips needed depends on the length of your scar. It is important to address how to use Embrace with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck in your research!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon