What do you think about Embrace for scar management?

What is the best to help mommy makeover scars fade? Embrace seems the same price of scar creams without the massaging everyday? what's the best way for scars to fade?

Embrace for scars

Embrace incorporates several principles to promote good scar formation. Mainly, occlusive silicone sheeting promotes better scarring, and Embrace provides the opportunity to potentially reduce tension across the scar.  This combined with scar massage, is a relatively low risk technique for scar care.

Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Embrace Active Scar Defense

Embrace is a great option to start treating scars before they fully form. It is the only product in multiple randomized clinical trials clinically proven to reduce the formation of scars. It works by relieving tension created during the healing process. Tension is the second biggest factor in scar formation. It is a low-maintenance, water-resistant silicone dressing that is comfortable to wear, and each dressing application lasts 10+ days, offering constant medical-grade silicone compression. In my practice, we apply the dressing during 5 brief in-office visits over an 8 week period, and feedback from my patients has been very positive.

Hope this helps.

Nick Slenkovich, MD, FACS

Embrace Active Scar Defense

Embrace Active Scar Defense is a great scar treatment device. After a mommy makeover, it would be highly beneficial to use Embrace on your incisions. Embrace combats scar surface tension, which is an important factor in scar formation. Patient satisfaction with this product is very high, and it is preferred by many plastic surgeons and its efficacy has been demonstrated in multiple clinical trials. The Embrace Active Scar Defense device comes in a variety of sizes, and, therefore, it can be used to prevent bad scarring with several different procedures, such as tummy tuck, breast lift, breast reduction, reconstruction, arm lift, and more. The treatment is started 1-2 weeks after surgery and continued for 8-10 weeks. If you are prone to bad scarring, you may want use Embrace for longer. It is important to consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding scar treatments, as he or she is your best resource. I wish you luck in your research!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Embrace?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.  Embrace is an excellent modality and have seen great results utilizing silicone and reduction of incision tension. 

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Best way to fade scars

The Embrace scar system and scar fading creams do different things.
  1. Embrace is placed over the scar at about 10 days - and is specifically designed to prevent thick (hypertrophic) and wide scars. I use them for people who know they heal with poor scars.
  2. Our scars often heal very well with no treatment at all.
  3. Silicone strips taped over scars can flatten slightly thick scars.
  4. Scar fading creams work depending on what is in them - they may have skin lighteners, silicone and steroids. Ask your surgeon to recommend a cream for your particular case.
  5. Best wishes.

Embrace for Scar Management

The way that a scar heals depends on your genetics as well as what you do afterwards.  Silicone-based scar cream and Embrace are good options.  Embrace is usually applied once the incision is completely healed, usually 3 weeks post-op.  It is applied weekly for 2-3 months.  It has silicone and it helps with tension on the scar.  If a scar (such as TT) has tension, Embrace will be a great option to help heal the scar better.  Good luck!

Embrace Scar Therapy

Embrace Scar Therapy works by lessening tension on the incision, allowing the scar to heal optimally.  We have been impressed with the good, consistent results that this product has shown.  Our patients have been happy as well.  If you are looking for a proven product, this one is worth the investment.

Camille Cash, MD

I really like Embrace..

This is the only product I'm currently recommending in my practice because I've seen it work so well. Please see some samples of the incisions in the link below.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Embrace works!

Hi.  For those patients that want the best possible scar outcome, or those who have had troubles with scar quality in the past, I recommend using Embrace dressings, for the recommended 8 week time period.  We use it on a lot our tummy tucks, for example.  It really helps - and it's a thoroughly researched product.However, some people (about 15%) will get skin irritation or rash, and won't be able to complete the treatment.

Scar Recovery Gel

I have tried almost everything out there on patients over the past 20 years and in my experience I think that a relatively new product called Scar Recovery Gel is the most effective product in minimizing the appearance of scars. It is available without a prescription but usually only available through a physicians office. I will usually recommend it for all patients and have them begin applying it to a new healing scar within a week of surgery. Consult with your plastic surgeon regarding specific instructions for your particular case.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon