What should the Embrace Scar Therapy look like after I have worn it for a few days? (photos)

I have been wearing the Embrace Scar Therapy patch for a few days. I am 3 weeks post op TT. The nurse at my doctor's office applied it for me the first time and since the second or third day I have been seeing rippling and condensation around the edges of the patch and condensation underneath it. Is it still working if it looks like this? I have been scouring the internet for answers but I cannot find any.

Scar therapy

I'm not familiar with this brand, so I would call the company and show them photos to make sure everything is okay.

Looks right.

Thank you for this question. The application looks right and the condensation is normal. Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Embrace Active Scar Defense

After applying Embrace Active Scar Defense, it is normal to see rippling and condensation. Rippling or wrinkling of the active scar device is a sign that it is conforming to your skin. As long as the edges are fully adhered to your skin, it is still working and alleviating tension with your incision. Regarding condensation, this is also normal and most often occurs after showering or strenuous activity. The important thing to make sure of is that the edges are sealed. If not, and a water pocket has formed inside the dressing, it is time to remove Embrace. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon if you still have questions regarding how to use the active scar device. Good luck with your scar therapy!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scar Therapy

The best advice I can give you is to schedule in with the office and have new sheets placed over your incision sites. This is a great product when used properly. Your incisions are in a very tricky location for Embrace as far as rippling is concerned and any amount of sweating, lotions (including sunscreens) will cause more rippling and lifting. So long as the incision is covered fully with Embrace, you will still get an amazing result. The majority of my patients find the added expense of more product well worth the results. Good luck!

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Embrace

If either edge is largely detached you should go back and they can apply another one.  In warm climates and with excessive activity, sweating can increase the chance of the embrace peeling off.  If the Embrace is wrinkling but still attached it is still good.

Dr. Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

What should the Embrace Scar Therapy look like after I have worn it for a few days?

Impossible to determine from photos. Best to return to see your surgeon for proper care and use of this "Embrace Scar Therapy" system.. 

Appearance of embrace advanced scar therapy dressings

As I can best determine from the photos, your embrace dressings appear as they should. Sometimes, patients develop some redness, like chapped skin, which will ultimately resolve after you complete your eight week treatment with the embrace dressings.  If you develop a collection of fluid under the dressing, the dressing will likely need to be removed until the incision has fully closed and no further drainage is present.  If you develop blistering around the edges of the embrace dressings, you may be allergic to the adhesive and the dressings may need to be discontinued.  You can contact patient support at Neodyne Bioscience, inc, the maker of embrace or go to the embrace website for more information.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon