Columellar scar 3 weeks post op. Will I need revision of the scar? (photo)

Hello. I am 3 weeks post rhinoplasty. And i am really worried about columellar scar. The incision line is a little edematous from one side. I can clearly feel it with fingers. Will I need revision of the scar? How long should i wait until revision can be done?

Too early

The columellar incision at 3 weeks will be very noticeable in all patients.  At 3 months, it will start to flatten and fade and at 6 months, typically is very difficult to see.   The columellar incision rarely ever requires revision as it typically heals very well.

Marina Del Rey Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Still too early

Thanks for your post. Since you are still only 3 weeks removed from surgery, I expect your columella incision will improve considerably over the next few weeks and months. That doesn't automatically mean nothing will need to be done, but often times this type of problem resolves with time. Be sure to communicate your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open Rhinoplasty Columellar Incision Concerns

This is a common question. Typically these columellar incisions will heal smoothly and evenly without any need for scar revision. I would allow this incision to mature and heal for about 6 months or more before considering minor revision. Sometime an office dermabrasion will help improve the appearance if necessary. Rarely do patients require a scar revision. I would suggest you discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her best recommendations as this heals. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

3 weeks after surgery what you are seeing and feeling is not outside the realm of normal.  Unfortunately, some people can take a little longer to heal than others. At this time, the best thing to do to help improve the scar and improve how quickly it settles down and matures is to use silicone creams and gentle massage.  That being said, each operating surgeon has different routines post op to improve outcomes. Give the office of your surgeon a call and let him know of your concerns - that way they can help guide you along the healing process and avoid needing to have any revision work for scarring between 6 months and a year after your surgery.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon