5'9 150lbs 36b: will 500cc get me a full D or bigger? (Photos)

I'm 5'9 about 150 lbs around 36b with mastopexy with implants scheduled for 500cc under the muscle. I am about a size 8 with wide hips narrow waist. Will 500cc get me a full D or bigger?

Large implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your questions.  Approximately every 150 cc is equivalent to one bra cup size.  Therefore, an implant of 500 cc would likely make you a double D. cup.  More concerning than your postoperative size is the use of such a large implant when combined with a mastopexy.  The combination of an augmentation and mastopexy should not be taken lightly by either the patient or the plastic surgeon.  When choosing an implant to be used with a mastopexy procedure, most surgeons will be on the more conservative side with regard to volume choosing an implant that is approximately 350 cc to 400 cc so as to limit potential complications.  There is already an increased risk for complications when combining these 2 procedures - complications such as poor wound healing, widened scars and the need for revision.  As I explain to all of my patients, we are already creating tension across the incisions and scars when performing a mastopexy because we are removing excess skin and tightening the breast skin envelope.   If we then also add more volume with an implant, we are creating an even greater amount of tension across the incisions and scars.  That is the reason for limiting the volume of the implant.  The larger of the implant, the greater the risk for poor healing, open wounds, and the need for revision surgery.  I recommend that you addressed  this with your surgeon.  As always, be sure that your surgeon is certified by the American board of plastic surgery.  Best wishes.

Breast Implant Size - Going from B to D cup

There is not an exact match between cup size and breast implant size since cup size is an inaccurate and highly variable measurement. 

Although it's a rough estimate, every 125-200 cc will likely increase your size by one cup depending on the surgical approach.

The appropriate breast implant size can be determined working together with your surgeon during the consultation process. The size of the implants is based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, your surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

5'9 150lbs 36b: will 500cc get me a full D or bigger?

Although it's impossible to predict a final cup size, generally speaking, every 150-200cc of implant volume will likely increase your breasts by one cup size. Good luck with your upcoming procedure.

Breast lift with implants

Dear Mommaof2beauties,

A 500cc breast implant is likely to bring your B cup breasts to a larger than D cup size.  Discuss the size expectation with your plastic surgeon, who has taken your measurements and can best predict the size that you will achieve.  Good luck!

Breast lift with implants, 500cc

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, a breast lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.  500cc is a large implant when a lift is also being combined.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implant selection

Choosing the right implant of you requires an exam in person. It looks like you will need a lift as well. Best of luck.

5'9 150lbs 36b: will 500cc breast implant get me a full D or bigger?

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking 500 cc breast implants will likely make you a D cup especially if you shop for bras at Victoria secret.  However my concern would be that a large 500 cc implant could compromise blood supply to the nipple area.  Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Please read below:

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery. 

Also, patients undergoing the combination breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that there are limits as to how large of an outcome can be achieved, given that breast lifting surgery does involve breast skin removal. On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. 

Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications. 

In my practice the tailor tacking technique is an important part of the mastopexy and mastopexy/augmentation procedure. It involves TEMPORARY  closure of the skin (for example with temporary skin staples)  to double check the amount of skin that is to be excised during the procedure. This maneuver is done to ensure that enough skin, but not too much, is removed. On the one hand, it is important that enough skin be removed to achieve the aesthetic breast lifting results the patient is looking for; on the other hand, is important not to move too much skin creating tension upon closure and potential wide scars.

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full D cup or bigger" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers and the tailor tacking technique with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.

I hope this helps.

Implant Type and Sizing Selection

Hi Mommaof2beauties,

Breast implant type and sizing selection is a complicated process and requires a detailed consultation that includes a discussion of your goals, a detailed examination, and a lengthy discussion. But the decision will always start and end with the patient. 

When it comes to sizing, we have all of our patients find 3 photos of their desired breast size. We ask for naked breast photos because clothing can obscure the true size (push up bras). Next, we consult with patients and go over the photos and take detailed breast measurements during a physical exam. Next, we using a sizing algorithm to determine a range of implants that will work based on the exam and the measurements.

Lastly, during the operation, we use silicone sizers in the operating room to see how the size actually looks in the breast. We sit the patient up in the operating room, while asleep of course, and compare the sizer result with their desired look photos. If it is too small, we start the process over with a slightly larger implant. We don't stop until we get the perfect match.

Of all of my breast augmentation patients, every one of them has been happy with their size due to this detailed and meticulous process. You don't want to invest time and money into a result that is either too big or too small.

You should discuss your concerns with a board-certified plastic surgeon and make sure that your surgeon understands your goals.

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Daniel Barrett, MD