Results, Recovery, Incisions from Mini Facelift: What to Expect?

What do you think of the lifestyle lift or, for that matter, any minilift, if a person does not require a complete facelift? Is it lasting, and where are the incisions made? How long is the usual recovery time? Many thanks for your opinion.  

Recovery from a Mini Facelift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A mini facelift, sometimes called a limited face lift does mean that the recovery is much less.  Similar incisions are made (although usually somewhat shorter) but the work done under the skin to tighten the muscles may be just as extensive.

Recovery from any facelift is somewhat variable depending upon the individual and the extent of surgery that is done.  A limited or mini facelift may have slight shorter times than I mention here but not always.  There are three parts to "recovery":

1. True recovery or time back up on your feet and able to go for a walk or get things done.  This should be no more than a day or two.
  2. Downtime or the time for the swelling and bruising to pass so that you can go out with some makeup on and not have people look aghast.  This is usually 7 to 10 days but may be a little longer depending upon you and the extent of the procedure.
  3. Time for healing.  I tell my patients that all of the swelling is usually gone at 3 months and 80% of it is gone at 3 weeks.  Bruising can last up to 3 weeks.  Small lumps and bumps that can occasionally form may be 3 to 6 months before they are completely gone. The scars will be red and thick for up to a year.

Facelift surgery can be transformative however and most of these problems are minor.

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right at the "report' button.  Thanks.

Best regards.

Many of the mini-lifts (including the Lifestyle Lift) will offer improvements to patients that have problems on their cheeks and jowls. If the problem also include neck issues, then a facelift is the best answer or an extended mini facelift (Lifestyle Lift).

Most of the facelifts or mini facelifts will need 7 to 10 days of recovery. The incisions for the mini facelift will go from the sideburn, around the front of the ear to the ear lobe and may go up a little on the crease behind the ear.

The facelift extends this incision to the crease behind the are and turn about 3/4 of the way up to the hair line behind the ear. This extension helps address the neck area.

Expect improvement of the cheeks and jowls from the mini lift, more improvements on the neck with the facelift.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Lift Super Choice in the Right Patient

A mini-lift is a great choice for the proper candidate.  Typically these patients are in their 40s or early 50s, have minimal neck sagging (minus perhaps some fat under their chin), and have less time available for recovery.  A well performed mini-lift will typically sharpen the jawline muscle and lower 1/3 of the facial skin and can give up to 10 years of youth back in the lower face.  There does need to be incisions around the front contour of the ear (on each side) and under the earlobes as well.  The incisions typically heal quite well (should not be visible) when performed by a skilled surgeon.  The recovery time (with proper preparation, ie not taking blood thinners before your procedure) usually is 5-7 days in my experience.  For the actual jawline, the results can be as good as that of a "full facelift", with the exception that a mini-lift cannot create huge change in the neck itself. 

Facelift & Mini Facelift & Lifestyle Lift Facelift

This is a very good question.  There are many types of facelifts and descriptions for these different methods.  A mini facelift and a lifestyle lift facelift and a quick lift facelift are not meant to be lasting facelifts.  They address minimal features of the face and serve a purpose.  Usually, it will address small issues and frequently the patient is informed that it may last several years.  If there are major issues to address such as heavy jowls, or a big neck with serious extra skin, these types of facelifts will not address these issues.  Each patient is individualized and the problems should be discussed and individually addressed.  The patient should be informed and these issues discussed.  Thank you for your question.  I hope this helps.

Min lift = mini results? Not necessarily.

For patients with jowling and mild neck laxity, a mini lift is a great option. The results are meant to bring you back 5-7 years and are generally best for those in their 40s and 50s. The downtime is 1 week and the recovery is relatively easy. The incisions start just underneath the sideburn and pass around the ear in the natural creases. Shorter incisions just leave bumps of skin behind that may take months to flatten out. I perform a deep plane mini lift, which I believe gives the most natural-appearing and long-lasting rejuvenation.

Our skin can lose its tightness and firmness and become floppy and unattractive as a result of factors like aging, losing weight. In mild cases incisionless techniques such as Spider Web Technique can be advantageous however lifting operations are more effective in patients with excessive skin sagging. The sagging is more apparent in the face area especially. According to the examination; surgeons can offer both surgical and non-surgical approaches but surgical approach is the most beneficial one in complicated cases. Not only loss of the skin elasticity but also loss of muscle tonus and atrophy in the bony structures can lead to an older look. Therefore removing of the excess skin tissue as well as providing the volume is necessary in these kind of advanced cases.

Why should I have a Face Lifting operation?

If your skin sagging is so severe that cannot be fixed with non-surgical approaches, if you want to have an immediate result and you don’t want to wait for months to see the results; then you might be a good candidate for a face lifting operation. There are several techniques for face lifting operations the ones with minimal retractions and the ones that with a more aggressive approaches. You can decide the best technique that will work for you in the consultation with your doctor.

Results, Recovery, Incisions from Facelift: What to Expect

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect.
If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.
Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.

The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away.
#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Mini facelift recovery

A mini facelift can be a variety of different things and is provider dependent.  Some mini lifts are designed to last 3 years and others are designed to last 7-10 years.  The only way to figure out how long a lift will last is to ask the surgeon who performs it.  Mini facelifts costs vary depending on the surgeon and how long their lift lasts (as well as a variety of other factors such as reputation and training).  A good mini facelift from a reputable plastic surgeon should last 5-7 years. 

Generally, mini facelift incisions are shorter and recovery time lasts 10 days. There is no exercising the first week, however, by day 7, you should be able to wear makeup and exercise but there may still be some bruising. 

Is a Mini Facelift A Good Procedure?

Many plastic surgery companies have sought to trademark "brand names" for the a Mini Facelift in order to make them better suited for marketing purposes.  The Mini Facelift is a popular procedure for lower facial and neck rejuvenation which has become popular over the last decade. What do I think of these "branded" Mini Facelifts?  I think that the success of any surgery depends on the expertise of the surgeon.  You should pick a surgeon, not procedure.  You surgeon should be a board certified surgeon who has performed many of these procedures.

If you have mild facial skin laxity and some sagging of the neck skin then a Mini Facelift is a great procedure to provide lower facial and neck rejuvenation with less recovery and downtime compared to a traditional facelift.  In my practice, I perform all these procedures under IV sedation with local anesthesia.  IV sedation is the same anesthesia which is used for procedures such as colonoscopy, and some dental surgery.  I feel this allows my patients extra comfort, instead of having to only use local anesthesia.  I use incisions that are well camouflaged following the natural curvatures in front and behind the ear.  Sutures are removed at seven days after surgery, and most patients return to work at about 10 days after surgery.  

Being a board certified facial plastic surgeon, I have performed hundreds of these procedures and feel they provide excellent results when tailored to the right patients.  If a patient has a greater degree of aging I do not suggest "cutting corners" with a Mini Facelift because the patient will not achieve the desired results.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your Procedure Should Be Customized to Fit You

Mini facelifts in general can be a great option for patients who want to maintain a natural look while repairing signs of aging, all without the more intensive surgery of a traditional facelift. Ultimately, you should look for a surgeon who will simply perform the procedure you need in order to safely get the results you want—no more, no less. While a mini facelift is not the right choice for someone with extensive amounts of aging, if you are truly a good candidate, you will be able to enjoy your results for years. When the aging process continues, you will want either surgical or non-surgical procedures to refresh and maintain your results, but this is true for any facial rejuvenation option, because nothing can truly stop aging.

However, while a mini facelift can produce exceptional results (and has for thousands of patients in my own practice alone), I generally advise against “name brand” procedures that are essentially franchised out to surgeons throughout the country. These surgeries tend to be a formulaic, step-by-step process with little customization to meet the patient’s needs, but in order to truly achieve the best results, your cosmetic surgery should be tailored to fit you.

To answer some of your more specific questions, the incisions made during a mini facelift will depend on the area you want to focus on (mid face, lower face, jowls, etc.). Some of the most common incision sites are just in front of the ears and on the underside of the chin. As far as the recovery time, it all depends on the extensiveness of your surgery, as well as your natural healing process and a number of other factors. For my patients, a mini facelift is typically done in-office using local anesthesia, and this allows them to recover in half as much time as a traditional facelift under general anesthesia would require.