How much fat is taken from your arm during an arm lift?

I want to get this procedure done, however, I don't want to get it and be unsatisfied with the results. I see many photos of people who get this procedure done, but their arms still look fat after the surgery, it just looks tight after rather than tight AND smaller.

Arm lift

The  amount of change that occurs during an arm lift depends on your anatomy . Sometimes just fat is removed and sometimes fat and skin excess is removed to achieve the optimal result .Most important  is to see a Board -certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to determine what procedure(s) are best to address your concerns.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Removing fat during an arm lift

In a similar fashion to other body contouring procedures, an arm lift is able to tighten and reshape the upper arm primarily through the excision of excess skin. Some fat is removed with the excision, but it may not be enough to achieve a satisfactory shape and contour. In such cases of incomplete weight loss, excess fat often persists along the back of the arms. Fat in this location can be removed with liposuction at the time of an arm lift. I would suggest that you ask your plastic surgeon whether they will be using liposuction as part of your arm lift procedure and perhaps, how they will address the fatty area on the back of the arms. At the same time, I think it's important for you and your surgeon to discuss what the final shape and size will be like so that you have realistic expectations about what is possible.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

The amount taken off during surgery is dependent on the patient.  Everyone has different size arms and skin tone, which is evaluated during consult.  I would recommend having a consult with a PS and expressing in depth your concerns.  This way you can be sure you will get the result you want. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  The amount of fat removed is variable from person to person and is the amount needed to achieve an improved contour.  This may involved liposuction at the time of the arm lift.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

How much fat is taken in arm lift.

The amount of fat varies.  This operation is primarily done to remove excess skin. If somebody has an abundance of fat in their arm, a secondary liposuction procedure may need to be done several months after the arm lift.

It's essential to see a plastic surgeon who is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in the procedure.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Arm lift - how much fat is removed

Thank you for your question about your arm lift.
  • There is no specific amount of tissue removed during an arm lift -
  • It depends on how much needs to be removed.
  • One reason the results may look 'tight' and no smaller to you may be that there was not much tissue to remove -
  • But also most post-operative photos are taken at 6 weeks and the final result of any surgery takes six months at least to appear with results improving significantly during that time.
  • To find out what to expect from you surgery, you will need a consultation.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS