One hand and arm swollen 3 months following brachioplasty. Any suggestions?

I am 3 months postop after brachioplasty with liposuction. At about 2 months post op my right hand and arm was significantly swollen. Had wrist to axillary ultrasound to rule out blood clots. Surgeon has recommended full arm sleeve and glove compression. But fingers and hand get more swollen with this on. Miserable!

Arm swelling after arm lift.

Hi. It is possible to have arm swelling several months after your arm lift. This may be the result of persistent swelling, poor drainage etc. Rarely, blood clots can cause the same symptoms. I would discuss the matter closely with your surgeon. 

It's essential to see a plastic surgeon who is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in the procedure.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Gabbay.

Arm lift - chronic swelling

Thank you for your question about your arm lift.
  • I am very sorry this has happened -
  • There may be several possible reasons  - normal swelling, over-use of your arm or poor lymphatic flow.
  • It sounds as though the garment does not fit properly and you need to return to the specialist who fitted you.
  • It will take months for this to improve but with time, it should gradually do so.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS