How dangerous are gummy bear implants for the health?

I am considering breast implants and scared of the possible health risks connected to gummy bear implants. Also, I am concerned about the expenses involved having MRIs done every two years in order to detect a silent rupture. I will greatly appreciate an honest feedback. Thank you!!!

"Gummy bear implant safety"

Dear Noryst,
All of the newest generation silicone implants are made of a cohesive gel giving them a "gummy bear" like feel.
One of the key differences of these newer implants is that the gel is not a liquid and does not ooze out or "bleed" across the wall in the event rupture. This characteristic significantly decreases the complications concerning silicone breast augmentation.
The new silicone implants have been studied extensively and their safety clearly demonstrated prior to receiving their FDA approval for both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
in my opinion they are a very safe option for breast augmentation and are,
in my mind, far superior in achieving a more aesthetically pleasing look and feel for the enhanced breast.
As for the frequency of MRI studies, their is considerable debate and a wide variation opinion concerning that recommendation. This aspect is best addressed during your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.
one cannot however put a price on peace of mind. If the concept of silicone prosthesis is going to cause undo anxiety, despite studies demonstrating their safety, then saline is a fine option.
i hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with attaining your cosmetic surgery goals.

Safety of silicone implants

In general, gummy bear implants are great for the explanting surgeon, as the silicone is not runny.  That said, MRI's are not usually able to detect leakage and have a 15% false negative rate for ruptures.  And in my experience, the women with leaking implants begin to have multiple problems well before they rupture. Please see my answer to another patient who asked if silicone implants can cause autoimmune disease.  I also find that women with textured implants can have increased problems over smooth implants as the texturing may enter the lymphatic system over time and cause interaction with the immune system.

The answer to this is two fold. In certain patients with genetic HLA types, silicone exposure of any type leads to autoimmune disease fairly quickly. These are HLA B27 and HLA DR53 as identified in the medical peer reviewed literature. In my experience, women with these genetic types become ill very quickly after any silicone exposure, even saline implants. For a FDA research scientist's story of this illness in herself, please see The Naked Truth About Breast Implants. Treatment is explantation with total capsulectomy, silicone and chemical detoxification and immune and endocrine support.

For women with leaking or ruptured silicone implants, autoimmunity can occur with time and silicone exposure due to two mechanisms. One is silicone itself, which acts as an adjuvant, and the other is via depression of T cell immunity which makes intracellular infections much more common. Intracellular mycoplasma is a known cause of autoimmune disease. Treatment would be explantation with complete capsulectomy as there is silicone in the scar tissue, silicone and chemical detoxification, immune and endocrine support and of course, treatment of the intracellular mycoplasma. These women also usually need treatment for multiple viral infections as well as yeast and in some cases mold in the biofilm.

Susan Kolb, MD

Gummy Bear Implants

The FDA approved the highly cohesive silicone gel implants after reviewing extensive research. MRI examinations are recommended to assess leaks, but the MRI is an imperfect exam, misreading the condition of implants 11% of the time, according to one study. The leakage rate in the newest highly cohesive implants is extremely low. Some plastic surgeons question the utility of the MRI recommendation.

The newest silicone gel implants have been a great option for patients because they look and feel more natural than saline implants and they are so highly cohesive. In my practice, they are also much less likely to require a re-operation than saline implants, which can deflate completely like a flat tire. While the saline itself is harmless, the capsule surrounding the now flat implant can shrink, requiring a more invasive procedure to release the scar if the patient wants her implant replaced.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Implants are safe.

Both saline and silicone implants are very safe medical devices. The ultra cohesive gummy bear implants also have an excellent safety profile.  I would recommend silicone implants as they help to achieve a softer more natural look and feel. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options. Best wishes,

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Gummy bear implants

Gummy bear implants are a safe option for beast augmentation.  As for costs, they are more expensive than other implants and it is recommended to have MRI's periodically for surveillance.

Breast implants are among the most tested of medical devices. No other medical device has been studied to the extent that breast implants have. Extensive studies of tens of thousands of women with breast implants have shown that both saline and silicone implants, including "gummy bear" implants, are safe. They do not produce a higher rate of cancer or autoimmune disease. After vigorous evaluation by the FDA, both are approved for cosmetic and reconstructive usage.

Many disagree with the FDA's recommendation about the frequency of recommended MRI's. With additional input from the medical community and as newer diagnostic tests are developed, this recommendation may be changed. The other alternative is to have a saline implant.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Form Stable or "Gummy Bear" Implants are the safest silicone breast implants made

In my practice, I exclusively use form stable or "gummy bear" implants.  They are much safer than previous generations of implants that can leak out their contents if ruptured causing fibrosis and scar contracture.  They also allow creating a nice anatomic shape that can develop a more beautiful breast shape.  I only use anatomically shaped implants in the "Cold-Subfascial Plane" to deliver safe and beautifully natural appearing breasts.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maerkcs M.D.

Always best to see a few boarded Plastic Surgeons in person! You have asked similar questions. The "honest" response is there are NO major risks with silicone implants as toward causing cancer. The choice of silicone vs saline is a very very very personal one. If over 22 years of age than you have this choice to make. 

Silicone breast implants that are used in the USA are extensively studied by the FDA, and are safe to use.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Silicone filled breast implants are one of the most studied medical devices we have on the market today.  We believe they are completely safe and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a family member.  Although the FDA recommends that patients have MRIs every two years, I don't feel this is necessary and most patients do not do this.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon