What Does It Mean if Your Surgeon is Not a Member of the American Medical Association?

I have been looking into getting Fat Transfer to my breats to correct their tuberousity and increase cup size. It seemed too good to be true when I came across a doctor. However, I have looked him up on the American Medical Association and he is NOT a member. What does this mean and why should he be a member? I always hear warnings against doctors who are not members of AMA. Does anyone have any advice?

Surgeons and the AMA

First of all, congratulations for researching your surgeon's credentials.  Not enough people do that.  Many surgeons, myself included, do not feel that the AMA represents their interests as well as our surgical organizations, so we do not join.  Between the American College of Surgeons and my various plastic surgical societies, I have enough organizations to join. For your procedure, you should research whether or not your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  If so, he or she has undergone the proper training to do your procedure.  Next, try to find out your plastic surgeon's experience with the procedure.  Membership in plastic surgery organizations is nice to know, but the board certification and experience are most important.

Abington Plastic Surgeon

What Does It Mean if Your Surgeon is Not a Member of the America Medical Association

It is more important that your Plastic Surgeon be board certified in Plastic Surgery as part of his overall credentials.  Some physicians do not agree with the policy views of the AMA and do not support them nor join their group.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Credentials very important but can be confusing

there are many organizations out there that provide " credentials" relative to plastic/cosmetic surgery. some of these can essentially be purchased, others very difficult to obtain without extensive training, scrutiny, and testing.

it is essential your  plastic surgeon be certified by the AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY. membership in the american society for aesthetic plastic surgery (asaps) and the american society of plastic surgeons (asps) is highly desirable. watch out for organizations that sound like these or have similar names .

it is also important to see lots of good pre/postop photos showing results of surgery for problems such as yours, as well as recommendations from patients of the doctor you are considering.

the ama does not credential surgeons....no need to worry if your surgeon does not belong from the perspective of his / her abilities.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

AMA membership

The AMA is a national society composed of various medical specialties that helps to advocate for, and set forth an agenda for medical policy in our country.  Not all doctors are members, and membership is not a measure of core competence in their specialty.  Board certification, however, is.  It is also worth noting that the certification should be in a specialty recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.  Not all specialties are recognized.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

AMA matters nothing in plastic surgery

Actually the vast majority of american doctors of all kinds are not AMA members for many reasons.  I think I saw that only 17% are. So, don't worry about that at all.  What to look for is vast experience, a top reputation, and ASPS membership which ensures Board Certification by the ABPS.

AMA membership.

I also am not a member of the AMA as I dropped my membership once the AMA supported health care that I feel is contradictory to the welfare of most. It was all political. Make sure your plastic surgeon is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) and more specifically the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS) as these physicians have achieved even greater certification in cosmetic and aesthetic training.  

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Fewer surgeons choose the AMA

The key credentials to look far are board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Most plastic surgeons will belong to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, however the AMA is low on our list.

CREDENTIALS

The most important credential when investigating your plastic surgeon is whether he is Board Certified.  The majority of Board Certified plastic surgeons belong to ASAPS and ASPS.  These two organizations are specific to plastic surgeons.  The AMA is a more general organization for physician of various specialities.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

AMA Membership Not Important

Good for you for researching your doctor's qualifications.  Many doctors do not feel the AMA represents their interests well and choose not to join.  More importantly is knowing whether your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  If your doctor also has membership in the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery that is another positive.  Good luck in finding a qualified surgeon with whom you are comfortable and hope you have a great experience.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

American Medical Association

Hi! Thank you for your question,

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Not all doctors are members of the American Medical Association. Some are not eligible based on not having a license while others just do not think the AMA supports doctors so they refuse to pay membership fees.  If they are well respected members of their societies and board certified, chances are it is the latter.

You can research if your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, or a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. This also states that your surgeon is adequate with the major plastic surgery organization in the US. This certification will ensure you that the surgeon has done his or her training in plastic surgery and has passed the oral and written exam. Membership in ASPS assures you of board certification which is a prerequisite for membership.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.
Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD