Will my Breast Augmentation Scars Fade? (photo)

So i am shy of four days of 2 month post op. my scars are a bit raised and red i was wondering if these look normal? i emailed my PS and the secretary told me that they look normal and that the body initally does this and will eventually flatten out?... in may i am going from 475ccs pro plus to most likely 700ccs HP ... will my PS recut the same incision? if so can he fix this at the time of me second operation if it still looks raised in the next two months?

Scars After Breast Augment

Your scarring is a little hypertrophic at 2 months post-op.  I would consider some steroid injection, scar cream and silicone gel sheeting.  Scars will improve and mature for a year or more.  In some patients we will also use the Pulse Dye Laser.  However, with additional surgery coming up in May, your PS will use the same incision.  He can excise that scar and possibly you and he can be more proactive this time around.  Good Luck!

Will my Breast Augmentation Scars Fade

Scars are thickest and reddest at 6 to 8 weeks, and expect them to improve over the course of a year. If you have more surgery, the same incision will be used, and expect the scars to look like this 2 months after that surgery, and then to improve. 

All the best. 

Will my Breast Augmentation Scars Fade?

I would recommend you to wait until your next surgery. The same incisions can be used, and your scars excised. You are likely to have the same problems with healing, and I will kindly advise you to discuss this issue with your surgeon. There are interventions, which he can be done to help you with your healing next time: correction with laser, Intense pulsed light, chemical peels, steroid injections, and silicone occlusion. 

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast scar management

Thank you for your question. Breast incisions can be managed using a multimodal approach:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening

The main role for silicone sheets is to keep the incisions hydrated during the remodelling phase of the scar maturation. This allows the underlying cells to work in a more optimized fashion. The brand is less important but compliance usually follows ease of use. Silicone usually has less skin irritation concerns with use compared to adhesives. They can also be re-used.

Scarring After Breast Augmentation

Scars that are red and raised mean that they're new, and this is normal during the three to six months after your surgery. This will eventually. You should protect your incision from direct sunlight to prevent permanently darkening the scar. If it is dry, you should apply a non-irritating moisturizer to it. With proper care, your scar will eventually become thin and silvery. This can take a year. Silicone gels and strips have also been found to help scars mature properly. Your surgeon may use the same incision placement, however please ask to make sure.

Breast Augmentation Scars

Thanks for you question. 

Yes, your scars are raised and you need to address it. At 2 months the scar is still remodelling and with constant use of  silicone gel strips you should see some improvement within 4 weeks.

All the best

Scars after breast augmentation

Your scars are a bit raised, but it is still quite early in the healing process. Using a silicone cream may help. As you are planning on another procedure in a couple of months it may be unnecessary to treat your scars at this time as the same incision approach will likely be used. That said, this scar shows you may have a tendency to heal with hypertrophy and so you should be more proactive next time with silicone once the incisions have healed. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Scars will get better but location of the scar matters ..

Scar formation is the end result of healing process. Scar will mature within some time. It can take up to one year to see significant difference in the scar appearance.  It is recommended to start scar treatment as soon as the surgical incisions are completely healed. There are many products that can be used to reduce the appearance of the scar. There are special creams, silicone gels and silicone strips that help to soften, smooth the scar, and improve its color and texture. It is important to use the products under the physician’s supervision. Avoid exposing the scar to the sun for at least 6 months. Unfortunately under the breast(inframmary ) scars are the worst choice they are very unpredictable in appearance and frequently are very conspicuous  I prefer armpit or periareaolar incisions Scars are almost never visible 

Breast augmentation scars would take some 4-6 months of time to fade away

Hi,

The scars of the breast augmentation would fade away within a span of 4-6 months to a greater part but if you would like to see the perfect results you need to wait till a year .

Regards,

Dr.Ram Bhupal Rao

Ram Bhupal Rao, MD, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Breast Scars

Dear uhfectionate89,

Your scars are appropriate for 2 months. They generally get better with time and I inform my patients that scars can take up to one year to fully mature. Your PS is most likely going to use the same scar, but it may be a bit larger when all is said and done. Be sure to ask your PS any of these questions before your surgery. Dr. G.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon