Massaging after rhinoplasty?

I recently had a rhinoplasty done on Oct. 13, 2016 & I'm worried now because I have been researching that it is not okay to massage the nose after surgery. my doctor recommended I gently massage my nose with an Arnica ointment to help speed the recovery. I started doing that on Oct. 26, 2016. So it has been almost 2 weeks I have been massaging it but now I want to stop after doing my research... have I already messed up the healing process? do I stop massaging my nose & let it be? I am worried!

Massaging nose post rhinoplasty

Without knowing your case intimately, it is impossible to say whether or not massage is appropriate. Bottom line, your surgeon is going to know best. Since you are worried, why not give he or she a call to discuss? My guess is that your nose will be fine.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

Generally speaking, you don't want to massage the nose immediately after a rhinoplasty because you may accidentally move delicate structures around.  This is why a splint is usually placed after the surgery.  However, your surgeon knows best as to what he/she did--- so, if it's ok with him/her, it should be fine.  I do recommend that you discuss your concerns with him/her.  Good luck~

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Message after rhinoplasty

We reserve messaging to the dorsum of the nose which allows the patient to micromanage the dorsal contour; following rasping of the nose to lower the nasal hump, residual bone, almost like sawdust, can rest back onto the dorsum of nose and this can result in residual nasal hump development; with message, you can avoid the recurrence of the hump by literally smushing down the "sawdust". But be warned that you can overdue it as well.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Recovering from rhinoplasty and touching the nose/massaging

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is following after-care instructions from your surgeon. In general, it's better to let the nose heal without manipulation. However, if your surgeon deems it safe, she/he may instruct you to massage, tape, or compress the nose to improve your result. I would use clean hands to avoid introducing bacteria. Strictly follow your surgeon's instructions. More is not better, because you can overcorrect. Be safe!

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage

Usually rhinoplasties are delicate surgeries involving the use of cartilage grafts and sutures to hold the nose shape in place.  For this reason massage is usually avoided.  However,  If your surgeon recommended it, it should be safe.