How can I get rid of this callus post rhinoplasty?

Had rhinoplasty at age 19 and I'm now 26. A callus appeared a year or two after the initial surgery. I had a small procedure to remove the bump and it went away for six months and returned. It goes through phases where it's bigger sometimes and others it's not as bad. My surgeon has tried chipping away at it with needle and small amount of steroid. We've tried with and without steroid. I have gone twice a year over the last 4 years and it won't go away. What do you suggest I do?

Recurrent Dorsal Elevation After Rhinoplasty

The most frequent area of elevation after a rhinoplasty for a dorsal hump is at the K point (keystone) where the cartilage and bone meet. Elevation at this area is commonly from organized scar but can be residual cartilage or bone. A consult could help determine what it is and the best way to smooth it. It may take additional rasping if minor maneuvers have not worked.

Revision rhinoplasty

It sounds as if your best option would be revision rhinoplasty if the bump really bothers you. Discuss with your surgeon and/or get a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty: persistent bump or callus on the bridge

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

A callus is scar tissue that can form on the bridge of the nose. It can be reduced with needle shaving in the office. For a recurrent callus or bump on the bridge, I would want to check the rest of the nose. Incremental loss of support of your nasal tip can make it seem like a bump is growing on your nose. This can be confirmed with serial photographs. After a few attempts at shaving in the office, the next step would be a revision procedure in the operating room. Although relatively minor, I would have a formal consultation with your surgeon to be clear about your goals. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You will probably require a revision surgery with rasping and/or osteotome reduction of the bump.  I would contact your initial surgeon for further advice.

Gary Motykie, MD

Rhinoplasty

A formal dorsal reduction rhinoplasty wherein an osteotome is used to remove this tissue would be indicated.  The callus should not return.