For male mini face lifts how are sideburns kept natural as skin is tightened towards ears?

Considering mini face lift, as a man how are sideburns kept natural with skin trimmed and scar hidden inside ear as usually done?

Keeping a natural side in male facelifts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for a terrific question. One has to always take into consideration the individual characteristics of the face and it's unique presenting factors. As someone who performs many facelifts, I have found the most natural male facelift incision is to place the inconspicuous scar into the hair bearing area of the temple and bring it down toward the ear tragus margin. You will bring hair bearing skin into the ear tragus but that can be lasered off after healing is complete. It's very important to mobilize deeper facial tissues and the overlying skin in separate; but correct vectors to maximize and achieve the most natural result. 

Male Facelift Incisions

Male facelifts are very different from facelifts in woman.  The incisions are planned specifically around the hair line and sideburns and individualized in each patient.  Planning the incision is as important as the surgery itself.  The incisions can be planned accordingly and placed so that they do not show.  Male surgery is completely different and the planning is most important for the best result.  The skin is also thicker and requires a different technique for dissection.  Overall, all incisions can be hidden and you can have a great result.  Good Luck.

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

About Facelift Surgeries & the Techniques

A #facelift is a surgical procedure designed to remove the major folds and wrinkles that form on our faces with age. Gravity, sun damage, smoking, living in a dry climate, and a variety of factors contribute to the aging process of our faces. Facelift techniques vary from patient to patient to give each person a procedure tailored to produce the best possible surgical result. A facelift will smooth out major folds and #wrinkles, #tighten the tissues beneath your skin, remove #sagging and excess skin. A facelift can also reduce excess skin around the #neck and #jawline.  

There is not just one facelift procedure, but a whole range of #facelift procedures. These different techniques have been developed over the years, involving different incisions and lifting the skin to varying degrees. A facelift may also involve the tightening of certain muscles and tissues, or liposuction of areas such as the jowls or chin.

It is important to understand that facelifts are meant to remove major folds and wrinkles, not fine wrinkles. A facelift which removes every line and fold would be too aggressive and would result in an unnatural result. Fine lines and #wrinkles are better addressed by skin treatments such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, which we also offer at our office. 
Incisions vary depending upon whether the patient is male or female, the hairstyles, hairline, age, previous surgery, and other factors. Generally, the #incision starts in the temple, in front or within the hairline. It continues in front of the ear, sometimes partially hidden within the ear. It then goes under the earlobe, behind the ear fold, and ends within the hairline or at the hairline behind the ear. The newer, shorter scar #techniques, which do not include scars in or by the hairline, can be used for most patients. Frequently another small and hidden incision is made under the chin in a natural skin fold. This allows fat removal and tightening of the platysma muscle in the neck if required.

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Male facelift incisions

Male facelift incisions are usually vey different to female incisions. In males it is very important to preserve the sideboard, so pretrichial incisions er employed in this area. There are multiple issues to bear in mind in male facelift surgery, noting that the desired aesthetic for males is very different to the desiered aesthetic in females.

Facelift for Male Patients

Thank you for your question, unlike a female facelift the incisions are not made in the ear, the incisions are made near the sideburn area, however they are short and once matured not visible.  This enables the sideburns to remain in the same position so nothing looks distorted.  Please have a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon so they can assess you and give you a realistic and desired outcome.  All The Best 

Male facelift

Thanks for your question. One solution is to make the incision just in front of the ear as opposed to bringing the incision behind (inside) the tragus of the ear. That way, the bearded skin is not brought onto the ear itself. Another feature of the male facelift is not distorting the height of the sideburn near the upper part of the ear because that can look very unnatural. Good question!

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

How is the scar hidden in a male that has a facelift?

There are several ways I hide the scar on my facelift patients, including males. First, I limit the length of the cuts to just enough to do underneath what I have to do to tighten the facial structures. I am always aware where I place the cuts to try to prevent them showing as much as possible and put as little pull on these outside stitches and most of the inside to prevent them being bad and noticeable! I place them high on the back of the ear as well as higher up also. I use depending on the person, several tricks that I have learned with my experience over the years to maximize the improvement, minimize the scars and costs for my patients. I have been doing more of my mini lifts under a total local anesthetic in my certified operating room!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Incisions along the contour of the ear and behind the ear tragus

In Facelift surgery it is paramount to provide incisions that are strategically placed so as to provide the best aesthetic and natural outcome for both men and women.  For men, I will place the incision behind the tragus and remove the hair cell bulbs on the under surface of the skin so as to assure that the incision is nicely hidden and that the hair does not grow on the tragus.  Sideburn hair in front of the ear is natural appearing after a facelift.

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sideburns

Depending on the amount of skin to be removed, the incision can be extended above the ear or around the sideburn to the temporal hairline.  Meticulous closure of the incision is needed to obtain the least noticeable scar. 

Lasering the hair that has to be moved back is usually the best result.

Hiding the incision in the ear ridges gives the best look but it means you will have to either shave or laser remove the hairs that will now be in the ear border. That is no big deal and easy to undergo.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon