Numb ears after mini facelift?

I am wondering what nerve or nerves have to be cut to cause numbing of the entire ear after a mini facelift?? I had a mini facelift 5 months ago. I know it takes a LONG time for nerves to repair themselves, if they repair at all!! I'm just wondering what nerves could have been cut? I'm just trying to figure this out. The procedure went great and my doctor did an amazing job...with the BIG exception of this numbing around my entire ears. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!

Mini lift and numbness

Thanks for sharing.  There will normally be decreased feeling from where the skin was lifted.  Although unlikely with a mini lift, a sensory nerve can be damaged (stretched, burned, or cut) resulting in more prolonged or permanent numbness.  At 5 months post op the nerves are still "growing" back into the skin so there is still time for the feeling to return.  I would say after 1 year post op the healing is all done. I wish the best for you.

Nerve injury

I'm glad to hear that you are happy w/ your appearance. There is a sensory nerve that supplies the ear called the Greater Auricular Nerve. It can be injured during facelift surgery where dissection is carried out into the neck below the ear. However, the mini-facelifts tend to have less of a risk than with the full, standard surgery where an incision is made down the hairline behind the ear. It will likely get a little a better as time goes on. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon