Is a mini facelift or fillers recommend for a 42 year old who has loss of volume? (Photo)

Hello I'm a 42 year old mother and I have become very self conscious about the sagging of my face around my jaws and the loss of volume in my face over the past few years after suffering the loss of my child and then followed by a divorce I've seen horrible changes to my face and skin. Would a mini facelift be recommend or fillers and such?

42 year old-mini face lift or fillers?

I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine the pain of losing a child.  This may not be the best time to have surgery and perhaps just working on your skin with good products and fillers such as Voluma to help add some volume might be the way to go.  I would recommend you go for several consultations and consider less invasive procedures at this time. I wish you the best.

Mini Facelift under Local Anaesthetic

I am sorry to hear about your loss, the pain experience can definitely take its toll on our skin laxity and appearance.  Thank you for your pictures, a lower facelift and neck lift would definitely provide you with a smooth, contoured jawline and neck.  The Concept™ facelift is suitable for patients wanting to reduce sagging in the lower face and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance.  The procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period.  The Concept™ Facelift can be performed under local anaesthetic (some people may opt for twilight sedation)

What are the benefit of The Concept Facelift, under local anaesthetic?

• Minimally invasive as it is a short scar facelift
  • There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
  • As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
  • Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
  • Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
  • Fresh, youthful and long lasting results

The Concept facelift procedure targets the muscle and skin therefore giving a longevity of 7-10 years, the same as a traditional facelift. 

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  Please think area what are your main concerns then your procedure choice when discussed with a surgeon can reflected this.

All The Best

Is a mini facelift or fillers recommend for a 42 year old who has loss of volume?

I am so sorry to hear what you have been through.  I do believe that adding volume to your face with dermal filler injections would be a great way to start your rejuvenation process.  Adding midface volume in the cheeks especially can make your face look younger and avoid the incisions in recovery with a facelift or mini facelift.  For more information please see the link below:

Facial restoration

Dear Mendy, 

Taking care of yourself can help you continue the already successful start in your journey to thrive after such losses.  You are on the right track as to the types of procedures that can help you.  It appears that you have thinning lower eyelid skin, mid facial volume loss and mild skin laxity in the mid and lower face - good options include fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing of the lower eyelids, fat grafting (filler injections are also an option) and facelift surgery.  You could certainly stage these and start with the laser and fat grafting.  

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs Volume Replacement

Dear Mendy,

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Such major stress can accelerate the aging process and cause the loss of facial volume and contour.  Replacing the volume would go a long way to rejuvenating your look.  In your situation I would give a serious consideration to fat grafting over temporary fillers.  I believe, fat grafting would be a lot more effective and much longer lasting.  A facelift would not be able to replace the lost volume; however, it will help to improve the sagging skin of the jowls and neck.  Both facelift and fat grafting would likely be necessary to achieve the best facial rejuvenation for you.

Best wishes!

Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Mini lift and fillers

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry you have a very difficult past several years. Volume loss in the major facial fat pads certainly accelerates age related facial changes. Lower eyelid and cheek hollow, temporal (temples) wasting,  jowling, and descent of the face towards the neck all may be resultant of this volume loss. Fortunately, there are a variety of stategies to address these concerns. Injectable fillers, implants, and autologous fat transfer, are all reasonable solutions for volumetric concerns. A mini-facelift can also help address volume loss if the deeper structural facial tissues (such as the SMAS), are preserved and repositioned. I am certain that a board certified facial plastic surgeon can help educate you on these options, and help you with your specific goals.

Stephen P. Smith, Jr., MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or "Mini Facelift"

I am sorry for the significant problems you have had. If you have mentally recovered and are ready to get back to normal, then a combination approach may be best. You have lost significant volume in your mid face and filling that should correct a lot of your problem. I would suggest use of your own fat as best and more long lasting, You could also use a filler like Juvederm Voluma, but it lasts only a couple of years. What you have left could be corrected with a MACS like facelift. This is a real long lasting facelift that can correct the problems you have with less invasion and recovery, depending on your neck. I would not consider a "mini facelift" as they generally do not achieve the results you desire or last.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

MACS Mini-Facelift

Mendy.   So sorry for the hard times you are experiencing. While cosmetic surgery may not make things all good again, it may allow you to feel better about yourself in a small way. Judging from your photos, you do have mid-face deflation, and I believe that a MACS Mini-Facelift along with fat grafting to your mid-face and lower eyelids are an excellent option. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Mini facelift (limited-incision facelift)

Thank you for your post. I would likely start with fat grafting in your case. You seem to have nice skin, and not much excess. It's just that you've lost volume in the soft tissues of your face. Fat can be transferred from the abdomen, flanks, thighs, or other sites to help fill in the hollows. I'd suggest meeting w/ a trusted plastic surgeon near you. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

42 year old mother and I have become very self conscious about the sagging around my jaws and the loss of volume face.

Hi, I am sorry for your loss.

I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are very flat anteriorly (in the front) and jowls are present.  These factors combine to create an elongated, rectangularly shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.