Is a mini facelift or fillers recommend for a 42 year old who has loss of volume? (Photo)

Hello I'm a 42 year old mother and I have become very self conscious about the sagging of my face around my jaws and the loss of volume in my face over the past few years after suffering the loss of my child and then followed by a divorce I've seen horrible changes to my face and skin. Would a mini facelift be recommend or fillers and such?

Determining the Facial Procedures Best For You

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

It is possible to #combine #surgeries. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result. The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. I invite you to visit PacificCenterPlasticSurgery.com to view a complete list of surgeries commonly performed. 
It is extremely important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mini Lift

A mini lift with fat grafting to add volume to your cheeks, lower lids, lips, and brows would be indicated.  This would allow you to look very natural and roll the years back. 

Severe Sagging Needs Facelift or Mini Lift

I am sorry to hear about how stressful your life has been. As you've experienced, stress can take its toll on our faces. Chronological age never determines which procedure is best to help you feel better about how you look. Fillers are temporary, must be redone and will not be a sufficient remedy for your sagging and jowling. A mini-lift with fat grafting will give your face a real boost, taking at least five years off and lasting for about eight years. The repositioned fat will give your lift a real “wow” effect. I hope this helps.

42 year old-mini face lift or fillers?

I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine the pain of losing a child.  This may not be the best time to have surgery and perhaps just working on your skin with good products and fillers such as Voluma to help add some volume might be the way to go.  I would recommend you go for several consultations and consider less invasive procedures at this time. I wish you the best.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Mini Facelift under Local Anaesthetic

I am sorry to hear about your loss, the pain experience can definitely take its toll on our skin laxity and appearance.  Thank you for your pictures, a lower facelift and neck lift would definitely provide you with a smooth, contoured jawline and neck.  The Concept™ facelift is suitable for patients wanting to reduce sagging in the lower face and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance.  The procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period.  The Concept™ Facelift can be performed under local anaesthetic (some people may opt for twilight sedation)

What are the benefit of The Concept Facelift, under local anaesthetic?

• Minimally invasive as it is a short scar facelift
  • There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
  • As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
  • Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
  • Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
  • Fresh, youthful and long lasting results

The Concept facelift procedure targets the muscle and skin therefore giving a longevity of 7-10 years, the same as a traditional facelift. 

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  Please think area what are your main concerns then your procedure choice when discussed with a surgeon can reflected this.

--

All The Best

Is a mini facelift or fillers recommend for a 42 year old who has loss of volume?

I am so sorry to hear what you have been through.  I do believe that adding volume to your face with dermal filler injections would be a great way to start your rejuvenation process.  Adding midface volume in the cheeks especially can make your face look younger and avoid the incisions in recovery with a facelift or mini facelift.  For more information please see the link below:

Facial restoration

Dear Mendy, 

Taking care of yourself can help you continue the already successful start in your journey to thrive after such losses.  You are on the right track as to the types of procedures that can help you.  It appears that you have thinning lower eyelid skin, mid facial volume loss and mild skin laxity in the mid and lower face - good options include fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing of the lower eyelids, fat grafting (filler injections are also an option) and facelift surgery.  You could certainly stage these and start with the laser and fat grafting.  

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs Volume Replacement

Dear Mendy,

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Such major stress can accelerate the aging process and cause the loss of facial volume and contour.  Replacing the volume would go a long way to rejuvenating your look.  In your situation I would give a serious consideration to fat grafting over temporary fillers.  I believe, fat grafting would be a lot more effective and much longer lasting.  A facelift would not be able to replace the lost volume; however, it will help to improve the sagging skin of the jowls and neck.  Both facelift and fat grafting would likely be necessary to achieve the best facial rejuvenation for you.

Best wishes!

Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Mini lift and fillers

Thank you for your question. I am so sorry you have a very difficult past several years. Volume loss in the major facial fat pads certainly accelerates age related facial changes. Lower eyelid and cheek hollow, temporal (temples) wasting,  jowling, and descent of the face towards the neck all may be resultant of this volume loss. Fortunately, there are a variety of stategies to address these concerns. Injectable fillers, implants, and autologous fat transfer, are all reasonable solutions for volumetric concerns. A mini-facelift can also help address volume loss if the deeper structural facial tissues (such as the SMAS), are preserved and repositioned. I am certain that a board certified facial plastic surgeon can help educate you on these options, and help you with your specific goals.

Stephen P. Smith, Jr., MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or "Mini Facelift"

I am sorry for the significant problems you have had. If you have mentally recovered and are ready to get back to normal, then a combination approach may be best. You have lost significant volume in your mid face and filling that should correct a lot of your problem. I would suggest use of your own fat as best and more long lasting, You could also use a filler like Juvederm Voluma, but it lasts only a couple of years. What you have left could be corrected with a MACS like facelift. This is a real long lasting facelift that can correct the problems you have with less invasion and recovery, depending on your neck. I would not consider a "mini facelift" as they generally do not achieve the results you desire or last.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon