How long does Voluma in the cheeks really last?

I had 1 syringe of volume injected onto and below my cheek bones and the apple of the cheeks in October. I hate the effect it has changed to shape of my face, and I wish I 'd never done it. I would like to know how long it really lasts. The injector told me it would last for a year but since then I have been hearing some scary stories of it lasting much longer ie 6 years. If I get it dissolved will it ruin my cheeks? Help!

Voluma longevity varies, but with one syringe it should not last longer than a year.

I’m sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Voluma results. Voluma longevity varies, but with one syringe it should not last longer than a year. If you are that unhappy, it may be better for you to dissolve the filler with hyaluronidase. Hyaluronidase works well and should not “ruin” your cheeks if done by an experienced, board-certified dermatologist.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Voluma last?

Dear Jenny,
The manufacturer's claim that Voluma can last up to 2 years. That was based on a study where patients received on average 5 syringes, so if you only received one syringe you may see a shorter longevity. If you are unhappy with the appearance you can certainly have the areas injected with Vitrase that will dissolve the product very quickly. You might need more than one injection, and you might experience some bruising or swelling, but you can see a change by the next day or so. If photos were taken before your injection was done I would recommend returning for follow-ups so you can look at the before and after photos with your injector. While they may or may not agree with your impression, they will certainly learn something. We all want patients to be happy.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your treatment.  Voluma lasts approximately two years, with the effect gradually fading over that time.  If you wish to do so, there is a chemical that can be injected that will dissolve the product.

Camille Cash, MD

Voluma Longevity Varies by Patient

The longevity of Voluma is going to vary from patient to patient. However, since you only had 1 vial, I don't think that your results will last longer than a year. If you really hate it, you could have the Voluma dissolved. Or you could wait it out. Your call.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Voluma Treatment

Treatments with Voluma last up to 2 years. Voluma is made of hyaluronic acid which can also be dissolved with injections of Vitrase. Your body will also breakdown the hyaluronic dermal filler with time. I’m sorry to hear you are unhappy with your treatment and hope this information is helpful.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does Voluma last

Hi Jenny, I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with your results. In the clinical studies (using 5-6 syringes of product) the Voluma lasted 2 years. One syringe of Voluma will not last the full 2 years (maybe 1 year at the most). It is possible to inject hyaluronidase to dissolve the product. It can take a few injections to fully get rid of the Voluma. Please make sure to have this done by an experienced injector. Take care.

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Does Voluma Last

I'm so sorry to hear you are disappointed with your Voluma results.  The standard answer is that Voluma lasts up to 2 years, but there can be individual variation.  The good news - you can have the Voluma dissolved with a product called hyaluronidase.  Be sure to follow up with your experienced injector.  Best of luck to you!