Interested in having a nose job; what are the chances of my nose clasping or my body rejecting the silicone implant? (Photos)

Implant

Thank you for posting your questions and pictures. Silicone implant rejection is not typically a problem, but risk for infection is pretty high since the implant is a foreign subject. I recommend meeting with an experienced physician in-person to discuss the pros and cons for silicone implant as well as rib graft (using one's own cartilage) before deciding on having the procedure. Best of luck. 

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty, nose collapsing after surgery, augmentation rhinoplasty, Thick skin

The chances of the nose truly collapsing after a rhinoplasty are miniscule and unlikely.  The real problem can be over reduction  of the skeletal components of the nose and the skin failing to shrink to the new structural complements.  Your goal should not be the reduction in the size of your nose but the reshaping of your nose to improve the height of the dorsum and the contour of the nasal tip.  If you try to change the appearance of your nose through reducing the overall size it will look unnatural, surgical and you will not be happy with the result.  I would not use artificial implants because at some point in time they will extrude.  To improve your nose it will be necessary to use cartilage from your  rib.  I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to choose a surgeon experienced in augmentation rhinoplasty.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic nose reconstruction

Although it works well in African-American and Asian patients, nose augmentation with silicone implant is not the only solution. It is simpler than other options but it is more prone to complications like displacement, infection or even extrusion. Diced rib cartilage graft is another, safer option with minimal secondary deformity (small scar hidden in the breast crease).

You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon with good reputation in nose surgery and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Nose implants

Thanks for the picture and your question.

I personally do not do implants because in long term they may create problems for you. Possible risks include shifting, deviation, formation of too much scar around the implant, and infection and extrusion.

I have successfully done many similar surgeries using your own tissues such as cartilage and fascia which reduces or eliminates the above issues.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Silicone implants and nasal surgery / rhinoplasty

Some surgeons are in favor of silicone implants some are not.  Many surgeons are concerned about dislocation and potentially exposure.  These are true concerns.  Rib graft for augmentation is a reasonable alternative. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Rhinoplasty and issues with silicone implant

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Silicone implants are used to stretch the skin or raise the contours of the nose. As it is not your natural tissue there is a lifetime risk of infection or extrusion. Once exposed to an infection, the implant cannot completely get rid of the bacteria even with the strongest antibiotics. Extrusion is when the skin around the implant gets thin and the implant breaks through. This may be related to infection or healing issues. 

Some surgeons have successful results with implants. I personally do not use them. I prefer to use your own cartilage (rib graft), once integrated it has none of these issues. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon