How to get a cosmetic and functional Rhinoplasty operation combined?

I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can save on cosmetic cost while receiving a nose job for functionality (if nessasary). Would it be cheaper/possible to pay extra out of pocket on top of my insurance charges for the surgeons skill/time if I'm already medicated and there for a procedure that my insurance will pay for? Like, would I not have to pay the hundereds to thousands of additional dollars for operating room rentals/anestesia/ect? (Maybe a little for the extra time.)

Functional nasal surgery and cosmetic rhinoplasty are two completely separate procedures

Functional nasal surgery can be performed at the same time as cosmetic rhinoplasty when needed. Functional nasal surgery is usually performed to improve airflow through the nose such as a septoplasty,  turbiate surgery, or spreader grafts for valve collapse. It's important to have medical necessity documented prior to the surgery. Functional nasal surgery can then be billed to the patient's medical insurance. A cosmetic rhinoplasty is paid for separately than the functional surgery and is much more difficult and takes longer to perform. Patients are expected to pay for the cosmetic component themselves. Even with functional nasal surgery, co-pays and deductibles will still apply. For more information  and many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. You can receive a nose job for functionality, and our office - like many others - offers a financing plan and can work with your insurance to determine if your insurance provider will cover part of the cost. A Rhinoplasty is the cosmetic procedure to alter the appearance of your nose, and is often combined with septoplasty, the functional procedure to improve the operation of the nasal and sinus. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The short answer is -no. The insurance companies will be able to determine the functional vs the cosmetic portion of the operation. They will require the entirety of the cosmetic portion- facility, anesthesia, Surgeon's fee to be paid by you and will not cover it with your insurance portion payment. 

Functional and cosmetic Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. Functional rhinoplasty is a procedure where the structural aspects of the nose are altered to improve nasal airflow and function. This is typically covered by insurance. Any cosmetic changes to the nose like taking down a hump or tip work will not be covered by insurance. It is common for surgeons to perform both a functional and cosmetic rhinoplasty, and insurance will cover the functional part, but the time during which the surgeon is performing the cosmetic procedures is your financial responsibility. How much that cost is depends on the facility and the amount of work (time) that is required. What I have said is also a generality and depends on your insurance and the details of your procedure. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic functional septorhinoplasty

Great question, and very common at that.  This is actually a complicated matter, as you have hinted, and it really has a lot of moving components.  It all starts with your insurance carrier.  If you are performing surgery with a doc that accepts your insurance, it will make things easier, as they will cover the cost of the surgery.  Now, depending on your insurance and your doc (this is where it meets complicated), they may decide how much is covered depending on where the procedure is performed. Some insurance carriers mandate functional work be performed in a hospital for reimbursement to occur.  Others have no issues with surgicenters or office based surgery.  Adding cosmetic components to the surgery will come out of pocket, and if performed at a hospital or surgicenter the time spent doing the cosmetic part of the procedure will be billed to you for anesthesia and OR.  The best way to find out how to best go about this is to both speak with your insurance carrier and speak with a few doctors in your area.  The last option is to get reimbursed from your insurance carrier after going with an out of network provider.  I hope some of this helps.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures

The answer to your question is yes, we do this all the time. Typically the parts of the procedure which are covered by insurance are internal nasal issues, such as a deviated septum or turbinate hypertrophy.  This will allow the insurance to cover some of the necessary parts of the cost including the facility fee and part of the anesthesia fee. You must find a surgeon who accepts insurance and your insurance specifically. Best of luck to you.