Sun exposure after Rhinoplasty. Does sun exposure cause scar tissue?

Is being outside with sunscreen advisable 1 week after rhino? I was running errands and was under the sun for about 30-45 minutes. I did use sunscreen and I am not sunburnt. Does sun exposure cause scar tissue?

Sun exposure post rhinoplasty

Dear Sam,

Short exposure to sun will not cause sever scaring or damage to your rhinoplasty results. Follow your surgeons post operative instructions. long exposure to sun may cause increase in swelling of nose. 

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only  1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Post Operative Rhinoplasty Sun Exposure

Dear Sam 12321, You should always use sunscreen applied carefully before going in the sun after rhinoplasty surgery. While sun exposure does not cause scar tissue heat from sun exposure can cause swelling and delayed healing. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Post operative sun exposure

Sun exposure does not cause scar tissue however if you have an external incision on your columella, it can cause that scar to become more pink/purple in color.  In general, it is always a good idea to use sunscreen.  Apply it carefully to your nose especially post-op.

All the best!

Babar Sultan, MD
Towson Facial Plastic Surgeon