I Keloid Scar, Am I a Candidate at All for Gynecomastia Surgery? (photo)

Managing Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery

After #gynecomastia surgery, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting. Some people are prone to #keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

I Keloid Scar, Am I a Candidate at All for Gynecomastia Surgery?

Although keloiding may occur, the scars would only be a few millimeters with liposuction. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures and male breast reductions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Gynecomastia, male chest wall fullness, #cosmeticsurgery

Dear GHendrix

Thank you for your question!  The shape of your chest ( the fullness) is very common. The scar on your shoulder is definitely a sign that scarring could be an issue. If you decide to have surgery- the incisions should be carefully place ( for liposuction and possible gland removal) and they should have prophylactic injection of steroid and an antimetabolite to try to prevent the scarring.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Gynecomastia and scars

You do have a significant keloid which means that there is a significant chance that you will form keloids again. The scar around the nipple is usually a great scar but in your case I would be quite concerned about getting a keloid here. 

A liposuction only surgery is likely what you have to settle for. This can we done through a small incision in the axillary. The central gland can't be removed but it's likely better than a big visible keloid.

Scarless gynecomastia

your problem is the classical indication for using the "Scarless" approach. as you heard in one of the previous posts, it is done using liposuction and in about 90 percent of the patients there is also gland tissue which is very hard and in most cases is removed with an incision around the areola. This is the scar that causes the real problems. The entire operation can be done through about 1/4" opening inside the armpit where it is just about completely invisible. The specialized instrument that was described is able to grind up and liquefied hard gland and it can be suctioned out through that same small hole. just find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that does this technique all the time and you should do fine.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Possibly...

Any surgery on the chest/breast areas can lead to keloid scars.  However, many times gynecomastia reduction surgery can be performed through a very small incision using liposuction cannulas and an orthopedic cartilage shaver to remove the more fibrous breast tissue itself.  The incision is made on the edge of the areola and blends in quite well after healing.  If the scar begins to keloid, it can be injected with a steroid that many times will prevent it from forming an unattractive scar.  Good luck!

David W. Allison, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon