How long would I need to stay in town when traveling for lipo of the stomach, flanks and back?

I live 6 hours away? Is it safe to drive? Or would I need to fly 45 minutes

frequent dressing changesAccording to how much fat needs to be liposuctioned, I would say an average time to stay in the area would be 2 days. This way you would be close by if you need to be seen again. You will have a fair amount of drainage from the tumescent fluid for the first couple of days, which may require frequent dressing changes.

Complications from a liposuction are very rare, but if one were to occur you should be near your surgeon..

I would suggest driving, but you will need a responsible adult to stay with you and drive you home, particularly if you are on pain medication. With tumescent liposuction pain after the first two days is usually controlled with Tylenol, however.
Thank you for your question, and best of luck to you.

Postop following liposuction

I would advise that you stay in town for at least 1-2 days. When you do travel it is important that you get up and walk frequently to help avoid blood clots from forming in your legs.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Hi. You should always have someone with you during the first 24 hours. This is the prudent thing to do and required by the State of Florida. If you give yourself 2-3 days post-op, it should be enough time. If you drive 6 hrs the areas of lipo may bother you when applying ressure to them for such long periods of time.Good luck. Dr. PG

After liposuction patients could return to a distant home the next day.

In my practice I would permit patients to travel or fly to a remote location the day after liposuction provided they're doing okay. There's really not much that can go wrong with this procedure.

How long after Liposuction

I usually ask Liposuction patients to arrive the day before for office consultation, treatment the next day, and then office check up the day after. 

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

A few days is usually sufficient.  The results of liposuction are highly surgeon dependent. Many are conservative, few create dramatic results.

When can you travel after lipo

This answer will vary with every surgeon.  I usually would say 1 week after such a surgery.  BUT, you need an agressive DVT (blood clot) prophylaxis plan.

For just liposuction in miami stay of 2 days is all I require. Keep looking for boarded surgeons though......

How long to stay in town when traveling for liposuction

Most problems following any surgery occur within the first twenty-four to forty-eight hours.  If you can stay in town for that length of time then your risk for being farther away is lessened.  Everyone is different in their recovery.  Some fly through it with little pain or problems and others are more miserable.  Only afterwards can you get an indication about how you might do.  As for driving, I certainly would not recommend driving while you are taking medication, such as pain medications, that might affect your ability to drive safely.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Out of town lipo patient

A lot depends on how much fat is going to be removed, and your method of transportation. If it is a small amount and you are travelling short distance by car, afew days should be enough. A long plane ride after large volume lipo can be dangerous putting you at risk for blood clots. Therefore I suggest a minimum of 1 week, and make sure you get up and walk around frequently on the plane.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon