I Just Got Home from my Lipo, I Know That the Compression Garment Has to Stay on the Next 48 Hours?

Just wondering if I could put on dry pads inside compression garment. Do I have to wait the 48 hours for when I shower and tough it out with wet pads?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Showering at 1 day

I would definitely change the pads when they get wet.  I ask the patients to wait until I see them the next day to shower.  After that, they should be showering every day.

Compression garment to be worn for at least one week

It is best to call and ask your surgeon what they prefer. In the meantime I usually recommend taking a shower 24 hours after your procedure with no compression garment on. Once finished replace compression garment with gauze pads. Good luck in your recovery.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Compression speeds the result and improves the outcome.

I prefer patients to leave the garment on and sleep on towels. We send a nurse to their hotel or home to change garments and bandages daily. After 10 days male patients change to a nonzippered garment with a crew neck which is easy to wear to work. I like it for 6-10 weeks. It sounds like an long time but most find it comfortable. 

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Liposuction maryland

I typically have my patients wear their compression garments for at least two weeks after their procedure. This helps bring down the swelling as much as possible. I've had quite a few patients wear them for longer in the past because they like the extra support.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Dry pads.

Compression garment is very important not only for the first 24 to 48hours but for the first 6 to 8 weeks, It would help you with the swelling and the shape. It is absolutely fine to change your pads, but every surgeon recommend there patient differently. Contact yours surgeon for better guiding. 

Compression after liposculpture or liposuction - Los Angeles

It is quite alright to place dry pads to decrease the amount of fluid leakage after liposuction. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposuction garment

You should be fine to change out your wet pads and replace it with new pads. I suggest keeping the garment on as instructed by your surgeon until the 48 hours has passed.

Michael T. Lin, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

You should be fine to adjust your garments, a lot of surgeons are not using any garments at all anymore