Is Lipo-Cavitation Treatments for Overweight/obsese People or Only for Sculpting?

I am curious about Lipo-Cavitation Treatment and if this is used only to sculpt those with small problem areas, or if it can jump start specific areas I have issues with that cannot be helped with exercise. I am overweight and have a sizable midsection since giving birth 10 years ago. I am not interested in invasive surgery such has Liposuction and was wondering if this might be an option for me. Thanks

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Lipo-Cavitation Treatments

Thank you for your question. Lipo is not a good weight control procedure, and should be used for appropriate candidates who have pockets of fat. Large volume can leave loose skin, then you will need another procedure. External liposuction cavitation will have a minimal effect, and likely leave you wanting more. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lipo-cavitation

Its not possible to remove all the fat. There is superficial and deep fat that is separated by a thin septa. Liposuction target only the superficial fat, while the deep fat is left behind. Any attempt to remove the deep fat will cause uneven lumpiness that is hard to correct. There is also visceral fat which is the fat that surrounds intestines.and other organs. This fat is only influenced by diet and exercise.

Liposuction is Liposculpture is Cavitation etc

Do not be confused by the various names of the same procedure.   Liposuction and Liposculpture are the same.  I suppose liposculpture could be defined as carefully done liposuction, but hopefully all liposuction is carefully done.  Cavitation simply means the liposuction is done with the assistance of ultrasound.  Vaser leads the charge in cavitation-ultrasound and I think Vaser is by far the number one way of doing technology assisted liposuction.  Vaser is wonderful.  Period.   As far as size is considered, I feel weight is never the prime determination of candidate selection for lipoplasty.  The issue is a lioidisproportion.   If a person 50 to 70 lbs overweight has one or two severe areas of disproportion, they are good candidates.   Reducing a very disproportionate stomach or buttocks is a real boost to some that leads to  exercising and weight loss.  Please see my article in the literature of 2001 regarding 629 patients with large volume liposuction.  Every patient must be looked upon as a very individual human being and given full consideration for all we have in medicine.  Weight reductions of 10 to 15 lbs are very common in liposuction.  With an overnight stay at our local hospital, weight reductions of 20 to 30 lbs are very possible.    Many of our patients have used this as an enormous jump start and ultimate mastery over their weight problem.   Good luck and be determined.   See 3 or 4 doctors.   See ABPS surgeons who have vast experience in liposuction and large volume liposuction.  My Best,  Dr C