Is Liposculpture Safe and Effective for the Areas I'm Considering? (photo)

I'm in my 60's, slender & considering liposuction for areas where I've always had excess fat - abdomen, waist, hips, buttocks. I'd like to redistribute that fat through liposculpture to my face, hands, breasts & to create a better butt. In the hands of a good cosmetic surgeon, is liposculpture effective to redistribute fat to each of these areas? How long might it last? Is it safe? My lower legs are very thin. Can I gain fat in my calves after removing fat cells from those other areas?

Is Liposculpture Safe and Effective for the Areas I'm Considering?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

We Move Fat

Your photo seems to show excess abdominal fat. This can be removed and then used to reshape deficient areas as you mentioned. Liposculpturing the breast, buttocks, hands, and face is too much because of the fat requirement. This is mainly regarding the buttocks and breast. You should pick 2-3 of the areas that interest you the most and discuss them during a in-person consultation. Along with decreasing the size of your problem areas, sculpting your hands and face may be the most satisfying procedures for you. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Liposculpture or Fat Transfer Effective for Contouring Body & Face

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately your photo does not effectively show your areas of concern.  In general fat transfer or liposculpture very effectively uses the fat removed via liposuction in an undesireable area and puts it to good use by tranferring it to an area that is deficient. The areas that benefit most from transfer of fat include the face, breast in some cases, buttocks, hands, calves and some traumatic deformities and depressed acne scars.  With proper technique, the procedure is very safe, effective and very long lasting.  The proportion of fat that survives is permanent.  The procedure does not stop the aging process, but significantly retards it.   Seek an in person consultation to determine how fat transfer can help you.  Good luck.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and fat transfer

Fat transfer is possible to multiple areas after liposuction is performed.  There is a limit what can be done in each operative setting.

Fat Transfer to Face, Hands, Butt, and Breasts

Liposuction to acquire enough fat to do these areas may leave you with loose skin in the harvest areas.   I have grafted all of those areas with fat, and it can be done.  Fat grafting to the breasts has been reserved in the past for breast reconstruction patients who had mastectomies.  Only recently has this been done for breast augmentation.  I typically only fat graft to the breasts in reconstruction cases, because long term data on the role of fat grafting to the breasts and its impact on breast cancer is currently unavailable.

Liposuction & Redistribution

Liposuction is absolutely a great way to get rid of stubborn fat. The areas you mentioned are perfect candidates for the procedure.

As for redistributing the fat to your hands, face, etc I can't say that I would recommend it. You'll receive different opinions from different surgeons, however. Some may advocate it. I find that adipose is difficult to work with, hard to maintain viable, and difficult to use artistically to achieve the results you're looking for. It can often look lumpy or distribute unevenly. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD

Your question has two parts:

fat grafts

When considering liposuction it is important to consider the elasticity of the overlying skin.  Skin elasticity can limit the results of the procedure.  Therefore this should be discussed with your surgeon.

Fat grafts can be beneficial in multiple areas.  Once again there are issues that must be considered thoroughly before fat grafting.  Ask your surgeon about these.  Also ask your surgeon about his/her experience and results from these procedures. 

Without knowing your medical history and examining you it is not possible to give a more detailed answer. 

Also make a point of discussing with your surgeon how much should be done in one procedure.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes lipo of any type is safe. But as for the large areas or # of areas for fat grafting you do not have enough to do ALL those areas correctly. Best to see in person a boarded PS who does fat grafts.