Weight Gain During Lipo Recovery?

If I put on extra weight (more than just from swelling...say 5-8 lbs) during first month or two of recovery from thigh and lower abd lipo, what effect will it have on my results? Since I can't workout for 3 weeks (due to fat transfer to breasts) and am a sweet lover, I know I am gaining weight. Will it cause more dimpling where lipo was done? Ugh!!

Weight Gain During Lipo Recovery?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Sabotage

You should not be putting on weight other than swelling after liposuction.  If you are you need to modify your eating behaviors.  Eating sweets during your recovery is sabotage.

Liposuction

Gaining 5 pounds should not cause much of a change in your body, you really need to get the volumes of weight changes high to see a difference

Weight Gain During Lipo Recovery?

Thank you for your question. Gaining weight after liposuction is very common, and to be expected.  There is a lot of fluid accumulation in the operated area and this will heal for the first 6-8 weeks, but some fluid may still be accumulated at 3-4 months.   I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and Weight Gain

Extra weight added on after lipo typically goes to the breast and buttocks, as well as deeper omental fat.  In my personal experience, I have not noticed it to be the cause of more dimpling in the treated area.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon