I'm 17. Will my puffy nipples go away? (Photo)

I've been having this problem for about three years now

Puffy Nipples at Age 17

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. "Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adult.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Nipple fullness

You would benefit from a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss the Gynecomastia. If you have had it longer than 2 years it is likely not going away. A  large percentage of my practice now involves treating young men for this. They are thrilled with their results,  which can be seen at 24hrs after surgery and gets better and better as the swelling form surgery resolves. You will have to bring a parent as you are under the age of consent but I would encourage you not to wait too long. The skin retracts much better the younger you are when it is done. This is not covered by most insurance policies. Best Wishes

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Probably will persist unless treated

In all likelihood, this will persist. Some surgeons may differ in their opinions about whether surgical excision or liposuction will help resolve this. To some degree, it may depend on your physical examination to determine if a firm glandular element is present. Certain conditions, medications or drugs may contribute to making this worse and you may want to see your personal physician to discuss this.

Gynecomastia IL

It is important you should involved your parents.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia?

I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia

Thanks for your question.  This looks like gynecomastia and if it is still here at the age of 17, it probably won't go away, but can be easily corrected with a simple surgical procedure.  See a Board Certified PS for a consultation.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and photos. This is a fairly common occurrence in boys usually about the time of puberty. In some., it will go away in a couple of years. If this has been there for more than 2 years, it probably will not go away by itself. I would discuss this with your doctor and get a referral to a Plastic Surgeon in your area. Best wishes

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Will my puffy nipples go away?

Your photos show a mild case of gynecomastia. It does not typically resolve without surgery. You would be benefited by scheduling a consultation to learn about your options.